Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Blue Ridge Getaway


The view in the photo above greeted me for the past five mornings as I stepped out onto the deck, mug of hot coffee in hand. We just returned from a relaxing five day getaway to Huddleston, Virginia and the cabin we rented on the beautiful Smith Mountain Lake.

I have lived on the rolling hills of the Piedmont plateau for most of my life, nestled between the Atlantic Ocean to the east and the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west. I learned to paddle along the Piedmont Breaks, the geographic fall line from Washington, D.C. to Northern Georgia, where rivers flowing from the mountains tumble to the calmer waters of the Coastal Plain. As a young man with a new driver’s license and old kayak, I spent many weekends along the Blue Ridge searching for the origin of beloved waters.

During my travels around this continent I have met more than a few people who left their homes in the Blue Ridge in pursuit of love or money. Nearly all express a touch of homesickness for their mountain home. I’m glad that the hazy hills are just a short drive, and yet a world away from my daily grind.

Thanks to the rich musical heritage of the Blue Ridge Mountains, all it takes for a brief escape is to close one’s eyes and drift away down a shady mountain road.


The Stonemans - Blue Ridge Mountain Blues.mp3

The Country Gentlemen - Blue Ridge Cabin Home.mp3

The Delmore Brothers - Going Back To The Blue Ridge Mountains.mp3

6 Comments:

Anonymous dan said...

This looks absolutely beautiful, Ed! How was the fishing? The Delmore Brothers are aces, anytime. They capture the spirit of the Blue Ridge Mountains so well.

August 07, 2008 6:18 PM  
Blogger medicinebow said...

Ed,

just want to let you know that i have enjoyed your fine blog for the past few months. I left my home in Hickory, NC back in '02 and have since lived in different parts of MT and WY. i miss the music almost as much as i do family. btw, i haven't seen a Charlie Poole post yet! Regards,

- Phil

August 08, 2008 3:39 PM  
Anonymous Jack (Melbourne) said...

Ed, I'm seriously annoyed with you. You're living the life I was supposed to live.

August 08, 2008 6:41 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Dan, The fishing was great! Our kayaks got us into little coves not accessible by larger craft.

August 08, 2008 9:16 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Medicinebow, Welcome aboard the Bus! Hickory, eh? I met my wife not too far from there, in Boone. Western NC is a beautiful area. I looked back over years of posts on the Bus and can’t believe I’ve never done anything on Charlie Poole! I’ll have to rectify that, thanks for the nudge.

August 08, 2008 9:23 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Jack, I’d have to say that I’m pretty happy with my lot. Sure, I’ve seen my share of hard times. I’ve worked more than my share of 100+ hour weeks, I’ve also been broke and homeless, but I try not to lose sight of what is really important in life.

August 08, 2008 9:36 PM  

<< Home