Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Roll River Roll



The rains of early spring have filled the thirsty rivers once again. I managed to catch the river up on a warm Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago. A day on the river is always special, but I managed to get ahold of both of my sons and they were as excited about a day of paddling as I.

Rivers have played an important role in my life for as long as I can remember. Whether it’s a calm, lazy river to wet a fishing line and daydream, or the challenge of a whitewater run, I always enjoy my time on the river.

I’m not alone in my admiration of rivers. Moving waters have been the inspiration for many a songwriter.


The Country Gentlemen - Come and Sit by the River.mp3

Eric Andersen - Blue River.mp3

Cindy Kallet - Roll to the River.mp3

Doyle Lawson - Mis'ry River.mp3

Cheryl Wheeler - The Rivers.mp3

Tim and Molly O'Brien - Boat Up The River.mp3

2 Comments:

Blogger boyhowdy said...

Oh, wonderful choices, and good to see others posting Cindy Kallet. (But, what, no Bill Staines?) Welcome back!

April 15, 2008 11:01 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Boyhowdy, funny, I did have Bill Staines' "River" slated to post but my album has a stratch right through the song. I'll need to replace that ASAP.

I'm a long time fan of Cindy Kallet. Her songwriting is so deeply rooted in her native New England, her voice sometimes comforting, sometimes commanding, and at other times haunting. Of course, some of the best damned finger-picking guitar to be heard anywhere.

April 16, 2008 8:31 AM  

<< Home