Sunday, February 17, 2008

Home, Home On The Road



Thanks to all the riders on the Bus who have left such supportive comments. This time away from the driver’s seat has been a mixed blessing for me. It has been nice to come home from the plant each day with nothing more to do than relax a bit. I’ve even had time to tune up an Autoharp and make a little music. On the other hand, I have missed my friends on the Bus and the good music and conversation that have come to be such an important part of my life.

During the past week I have updated my resume and put a few feelers out to test the job market. Fortunately, there appears to be an abundance of work in my field and I already have several standing offers. My wife has convinced me that, if we are going to make a move, we should go somewhere we haven’t been before. That’s a tall order considering our past gypsy lifestyle. The thought of leaving our home in Virginia is both exciting and at the same time a bit anxious. We have never been in one place as long as we have been at home here in Virginia.

One’s home can evoke strong emotions, whether it is the home one has left behind or an yet unseen new home in some distant land. Such strong emotions are the perfect fodder for song. Let’s get this old Bus back on the road with a few songs of home.

Fred Holstein - Goin' Home.mp3

J. E. Mainer - Home Sweet Home.mp3

The Swingbillies - Leavin' Home.mp3

Bill Clifton - Old Cottage Home.Mp3

Carter Family - Lonesome Homesick Blues.mp3

Reno & Harrell - Long Journey Home.mp3

Reno & Smiley - Old Home Place.mp3

The Country Gentlemen - Green Green Grass Of Home.mp3

Cheryl Wheeler - His Hometown.mp3
As one who has never spent much time in one place, I have always been fascinated by those whom have spent their entire lives in the same place as their forefathers. This song from Cheryl Wheeler (who moved from her home in Baltimore to live in New England) captures that fascination perfectly.
Learn more about Cheryl Wheeler, one of my favorite singer/songwriters, and buy her CDs at cherylwheeler.com

8 Comments:

Blogger kjk said...

wow! i have been looking for months and have not come close to a suitable offer. you're incredible, ed!

February 18, 2008 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Ed, I'm happy to hear that you've received such positive (and prompt) response in your search ... Like yourself, I also made a move of what I would consider epic proportions - but that was after Hurricane Katrina took away most of my stuff ...

I spent 63 years in New Orleans and was the only one there for my mother after my brother and sister outmigrated to TX and CA ... once her brother and other family members died off, it was just the two of us ... In all honesty, I had planned to move to Memphis to be near my daughter and her family - Katrina moved my schedule up by two years, tho' ...

Please don't misunderstand - Memphis is okay for being a 'New Orleans North' clone town, but it ain't (and can't be) 'home' ... All in all, I'm happy here and will, in all likelihood, die here, so I might as well enjoy the ride ... but nice as it is, it ain't, and never will be, 'home' ...

Take your time and choose wisely, my friend ... Glad to see you're doing well - I'm gonna shut up now 'cuz I see the sign says 'Do Not Speak To Driver While Vehicle Is In Motion' ...

February 18, 2008 10:55 AM  
Anonymous crisoli said...

Did you see The new competition?? All weeks will have a competition which name is "The Music of the week". All the weeks are new music candidates. The winner will get a videoclip in my blog!! I expect your vote!! please comment, too.

February 18, 2008 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Huh? Crisoli, wtf ... ? You 'EXPECT' ... ? Get over yourself ...

February 18, 2008 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you, Ed, shortly after I hit adulthood I went on the road. Thirty years later, I'm back in the home where I grew up. It's older now and the neighborhood has gone down. But, every childhood memory, the holidays, birthdays, illnesses, laughs and tears all happened within these very walls. All my old pets are buried out back. Click your heels three times and say 'there's no place like home'.

Richard, in my travels, I lived in Luling for a year. N.O. remains the only place I've missed, outside of my own hometown.

February 18, 2008 6:32 PM  
Blogger Max Nigh said...

Your tentative plan to wander, is very disturbing to me. do you have a nest egg for future illnesses, monthly money for living, and music?
Moving to a new challenge is always exciting, but years go by, and security of soul, and stomach get to be important beyond our usual expectation.
Philosophically listen to "I am walking thru your town , in the snow " by U.U. Phillips, and sung by Mary McCaslin, and (good partner in singing).
Veratis Max Nigh

February 18, 2008 7:43 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Ken – Fortunately, there are not as many people in my field of work as there are jobs right now. I just happened to hit the cycle right. Best of luck in your search, my friend.

Richard – Our anonymous friend said it for me, in all my travels, N.O. and South Louisiana hold a special place in my heart. I’m sure it was hard to leave after a lifetime in such a wonderful city. The tragedy of Katrina may have accelerated your schedule, but being close to your daughter has many rewards. “Might as well enjoy the ride” is my credo; you have the right attitude, my friend.

D (our anonymous friend) – You know the draw of the open road as well as I. Joey sent me an email to tell me he is also working long hours without a break. He has thought of hitting the road once again also.

Max – Thank you for your concerns, you make some good points that must be considered. Because of my past gypsy lifestyle, and being raised by my grandmother, who came of age as the Depression hit, I have learned to prepare for the unexpected. Your reference to Utah Phillips is perfect.

February 18, 2008 10:30 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Good to have you back Ed. I hope your situation resolves in the bast way for you and your family. Wherever you park the Bus, we can always drop by thanks to the magic of the Internet!

February 19, 2008 3:40 PM  

<< Home