Monday, February 04, 2008

"Hey Mister, Throw Me Somethin'!"


Photo: AFP/Getty Images/Chris Graythen


It’s Fat Tuesday, folks! Mardi Gras!

For several years the Old Blue Bus was parked on a small lot of land in Boutte (Boo-Tee), Louisiana, just off Hwy 90 west of New Orleans. Your humble driver managed to survive the annual 'round-the-clock party that is Carnival Week in New Orleans for three years in a row. I was fortunate enough to share the good times with some fellow gypsies and very good friends such as this happy reveler, our good friend Joey.



It's been more than twenty-five years since I've been able to make it to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, but I have celebrated every year no matter where the Bus was parked. For the past few years, the company that I work for has helped to make the celebration more complete. The company is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. While the home office is closed today for the holiday, those of us working on sites far from the party will receive a fresh King Cake sent overnight from New Orleans.



In these times when it’s difficult to tell one city from another, with a Wal-Mart in each suburb and a Starbucks on every corner, New Orleans is a unique American city. It’s a shame that our government has compounded the mess made by Katrina. I hope that New Orleans will rise from the mud to take its place once again as one of the truly amazing cities in the world.

Professor Longhair - Go to the Mardi Gras.mp3

Food Stamp Blues - Treme Brass Band.mp3
Large file (12.7 MB)

Beau Jocque - Git It, Beau Jocque!.mp3

To learn more about Mardi Gras in New Orleans and watch live cams of the parades and celebrations visit MardiGras.com.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was hoping to ride the bus to some Mardi Gras tunes, today. I knew you wouldn't let us down. My final fat tuesday was in '85 when I took a certain boss' daughter to N.O. from Georgia. I truly miss those times with you and Joey and the rest of our fellow 'gypsies'. Thanks.

February 05, 2008 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good times I just wish I could remember most of them.

Joey

February 05, 2008 9:13 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Good to hear from you two. Those sure were some good times.

February 05, 2008 12:32 PM  
Anonymous black dog said...

Well Ed, we've been on the rails before and still waiting for the Tom Waites train song. Memory plays games when you live abroad and get stuck in another language. I have a sort of sense memory of one night in New Orleans. I don't remember the circomstances which got me there. Must have been one of those bus tours. I knew a writer in San Francisco who spent a lot of time there. He's a real old time blues afficionado and could pinpoint the origins and influences of just about every one of our idols who in turn had an idol. Much like yourself Ed. The muses were hard at work and he put out some good writing. But, New Orleans is a far away point on the edge of a big continent. Very far away. As it must seem to its residents waiting for the nouvelle renaissance. Have been to Venice though not to the Carnaval. Veiled in mystery and shadow the minute you step off the vaporetto you lose track of time. And even after you leave you don't really know you were ever there.
Brazil, no haven't been there. My friend and latin jazz musicien was so inspired by Mardi Gras that he hasn't come back yet even though he's back home again. It's insired a new album.
I once wrote a tune titled come to the carnival. It got recorded and is now lost. I don't have a clue where it is now and even less of how it goes. Mardi Gras - favus distillans.

At a glance can't exactly carry on a descent conversation about the music scene here on the bus. Catch up where I can. The memorable moments being especially when the wizard takes a sharp left. Still, always a pleasure to listen in on while...

all thoughts fly... k.

February 05, 2008 5:43 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

k,
I'm sure you are not the first to have vague memories of a night in New Orleans! I have never been to the celebrations in Venice or Brazil. Each of these cities is home to unique cultures. The healing in New Orleans will take some time, but I believe that they will rebuild the city to include the eclectic mix of cultures that made it such a rich treat for the senses.

The Bus has been taking some odd turns as of late and I apologize for the random wandering. My daytime employment has again taken a larger part of my life with the reinstatement of overtime hours, leaving precious little time for musical exploration.

February 05, 2008 9:42 PM  
Blogger kjk said...

i believe this is the third time i've seen joey's picture on mardi gras. time sure does fly ...

February 07, 2008 11:01 PM  
Blogger 田园树 said...

hey man,
seems interesting~~
the cake roll~~~~~~~~
lol~

February 10, 2008 3:57 AM  

<< Home