Sunday, January 20, 2008

Footprints in the Snow


Photo courtesy of Forest Wander

This past weekend has brought the first snow of the season to the central Piedmont. We don’t get much snow here in south-central Virginia, so it’s good that this snow came on a weekend. Snow on the roads brings everything to a stand still as the folks around here do not get much chance to practice driving in the snow.

A warm fire inside and no place to go. I enjoyed watching the wintry scene outside my window from my comfortable spot on the couch, hot totty in hand, and football on the TV.

Today we take for granted a warm home at the flip of a switch or twist of a dial. If we need to venture out into the cold to stock up on beer and snacks before the big game, our cars are heated as is the brightly lit store packed with neighbors stocking up on milk and bread.

No matter how tough our winters may seem, for the rural folks of days past, winter was a test of endurance. As I searched my collection for songs about winter and snow it soon became clear that the majority of songs were sad tales of loss and hard times.

Molly O'Day - At The First Fall Of Snow.mp3

IIIrd Tyme Out - Snow Angel.mp3

Jody Stecher & Kate Brislin - Walking Through Your Town In The Snow.mp3
Buy it at CD Baby

Bill Monroe - Footprints in the Snow.mp3

5 Comments:

Blogger Minerva said...

Hi Ed,
I had a slap on the wrist re copyright last night and am going over old post rectifying the matter. I have deactivated most mp3s for the time being.

Sadly my cousin passed away in an avalanche recently in British Colombia. See my post Farewell.

January 20, 2008 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Skippy said...

Ed,
If anything, your're a thinker....that's important as it enriches those around you! Keep up the blog dude.
Peace!
Skippy

January 22, 2008 4:10 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Skippy, I've been called many things, "thinker" is one of the more acceptable. I'll take it, as well as your kind words.

January 22, 2008 9:20 PM  
Anonymous dan said...

Great snow songs, Ed. Those of us here in Canada can truly appreciate the meaning of these songs. Nice one, and thanks.

January 24, 2008 6:35 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Dan, are you telling me even Canada doesn't have many joyous snow song?

January 24, 2008 9:11 PM  

<< Home