Monday, December 10, 2007

Cold Icy Ground


Lantern slide by John R. Connon (ca. 1910-1919)

Although the official start of winter is still a few weeks, away and already the first storms have given some parts of the country an early taste of winter’s fury. While here in the Piedmont we are experiencing shirt sleeve weather with temperatures in the mid-70s (24°C), the folks in the Midwest and Great Plains are chipping out from a heavy ice storm.

It will soon enough be time to put another log on the fire, pour a snifter of something to warm a body, and watch the beauty of a winter landscape through the picture window.

Bill Monroe - Footprints in the Snow.mp3

IIIrd Tyme Out - Snow Angel.mp3

Jody Strecher & Kate Brislin - Walking Through Your Town In The Snow.mp3

Molly O'Day - At The First Fall Of Snow.mp3

This last cut by Molly O’Day was one of the treasures loaned to us from our good friend Walt’s Cousin Wes. Walt was back in the mountains this past weekend and has brought us another stack of dusty wonders from Cousin Wes’ basement. I’ll be keeping the posts short this week as I transfer a dozen 78s and a very special, rare vinyl four record set that we will share next week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Sure do like Molly O'Day's song. Reminds me of pushing snow down my first girlfriend's wet blue jeans.

December 10, 2007 11:20 PM  
Blogger Gustavo said...

Hello Ed.

Nice post, as always...

I would like to send you an email with a "little Stagger Lee surprise"...is it possible???.

Check my blog and send me details on my my personal email.

Cheers!!

December 11, 2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Beer, I suppose that high mountain sound is an acquired taste.

I remember rushing to the stage to hear Hazel Dickens sing with the Johnson Mountain Boys at the National Folk Festival a few years back. As I was entering the tent a woman with two teenage daughters in tow was rushing out. As she sped by me, the woman turned and proclaimed that she had never heard such a horrible noise.

I enjoyed Hazel’s show from the three empty seats I found right up front.

December 11, 2007 7:54 PM  

<< Home