Sunday, November 18, 2007

What's Really Important


"Friendship is a sheltering tree."
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of the year. As the holiday approaches I am reminded of all the things that make life worthwhile. While I am always grateful for all that I have, it is too easy to take these things for granted while one’s mind is occupied with the day-to-day concerns of making a living. Thanksgiving is a much needed pause from the workaday world in order to reflect upon the things that truly matter most in life.

While I have a long list of things that I am thankful for, none of it would mean near as much without family and friends.

Although I have not met most of you face to face, I count the riders on the Bus amongst my friends. I must thank my very good friends Joey and Dale, who encouraged me to create this virtual Old Blue Bus as a way to share the good music and good times as we had when the original bus was my home so many miles and years ago. Several folks have been riding since the Bus first pulled away from the curb; some have just recently hopped on for a ride, but all have added so much to make this journey such a joy.

Blind Willie McTell - Pal Of Mine (take 2).mp3

The Country Gentlemen - He Was A Friend Of Mine.mp3

John Starling and Carolina Star - Prayer For My Friends.mp3

Holly Near and Ronnie Gilbert - Music in My Mother's House.mp3

11 Comments:

Anonymous Skippy said...

Ed,
Indeed Thanksgiving is a great time to reflect on one's blessings of family and friends. As you said, it's easy to get lost in the "work-a-day" world and a break from it all is what we need! Keep posting those great clips and have a good time with your family!
Skippy

November 19, 2007 11:30 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

As a rider, I feel the same about you (& your family), Ed. I too love Thanksgiving for all the usual reasons, plus the fact that it remains largely resistant to large-scale commercialization, unlike a certain holiday soon to follow. An an attitude of gratitude will help one through many difficulties so it's nice to enshrine it with a special day.

I hope you & yours have a great one!

November 19, 2007 11:39 AM  
Blogger Black Dog said...

My dear ED, Well if you called in sick on friday you will surely be calling in sick on Monday if you ate all those crustaceans. Get out the herbal tea and the occasional beer - a meal in a bottle someone said to me once - and I suppose you'll be in good shape for the turkey you'll be serving up for Thanksgiving.

The bus is a terrific find. Glad to be on board.

all thoughts fly... k.

Very glad to be on board.

November 19, 2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger Monster Library Student said...

Great post! happy thanksgiving.

November 19, 2007 4:30 PM  
Blogger kjk said...

ditto to everything above. i leaned heavily on ed and the bus when going through a tough stretch last year. "virtual" friendship thrives! music heals all pain!

November 19, 2007 8:22 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Skippy, I know a lot of folks who are thankful for just a few days off to spend with their families. Enjoy them, my friend.

November 19, 2007 9:44 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Greg, “an attitude of gratitude” is the secret to happiness! Your point about Thanksgiving’s resistance to large-scale commercialization is well noted. I believe that, along with the holiday’s grateful sentiment, the lack of commercialization plays a big part in my appreciation of the day.

November 19, 2007 9:54 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Black Dog, Crustaceans and beer are just an appetizer for the feast yet to come!
Does France have a similar celebration?

November 19, 2007 10:00 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thank you, Monster Library Student, and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

November 19, 2007 10:02 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

KJK, I believe we shared in the leaning, Ken.

You’re right, ‘virtual’ friendship does thrive. I cherish the friends that have joined together on the Bus. I believe that music does have the power to heal and that good, honest music attracts the finest people one is ever likely to meet.

November 19, 2007 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Thanks, Ed, and thanks KJK. Music does have the power to heal. The Bus proves it. Even the crappiest times can be soothed by a ride on the Bus. The words and music either soothe or distract. Both are equally effective. Thank YOU, Ed. Happy Thanksgiving!

November 22, 2007 6:45 PM  

<< Home