Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Urge to Wander


“Here’s to you, my ranblin’ boy
May all your ramblin’ bring you joy”

The lure of the open road called to me at an early age. I hit the road while in my teen years and have preferred not to stay in one place long enough to set roots.

I’ve enjoyed my gypsy lifestyle. After all, for many years the Old Blue Bus was the only home I knew. Fortunately, my chosen profession has allowed (forced?) me the freedom to criss-cross the country for the past thirty-some years. My wife claims I have itchy feet. For years she was convinced that once I had learned all of the backroads between our temporary home and the jobsite, I was ready to move on.

The music, history, and cultures that I try to share with the riders on the Bus have been collected during my rambling. To me, that is part of the draw to this wandering.
“When that open road
starts to callin’ me,
there’s somethin’ o’er the hill
that I gotta see”
- Hank Williams, Ramblin’ Man

We have been in Virginia for ten years now. The reason we pulled off the road here, south of Richmond, was to allow our children to complete their schooling without the disruption of changing schools. Our eldest son was born in Augusta, Georgia. We had moved from Georgia to Connecticut to Alabama and Florida before we celebrated his 2nd birthday. Both boys are off to college now, and our daughter, the youngest, will finish high school this coming spring.

Lately, I started to hear the call of the open road once again. It’s still a faint voice carried on a gentle breeze, but I suspect it will grow louder, it always does. We have discussed what we will do once all three children are on their own. There has even been some talk of converting another old bus...

Highwaymen - Ramblin' Boy.mp3

Ian & Sylvia - Rambler Gambler.mp3

Patrick Sky - Many A Mile.mp3

Hank Williams - Ramblin' Man.mp3

Woody Guthrie - Ramblin' Round.mp3

Merle Haggard - Ramblin' Fever.mp3


Y'all have a good weekend!

12 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Just stopped by. What an amazing blog. Thank you for all the work /love you do putting it together.
I'll return...

November 02, 2007 5:31 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Thanks (again) for driving the Bus north to Canada for the Ian & Sylvia. They've both carved out fine solo careers for themselves up here, but they definitely sound best together. I've never heard of Patrick Sky, but this track is great. Where's this one from?

November 02, 2007 6:47 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Welcome aboard, Leslie! Thank you for the kind words.

I'm glad you jumped on the Bus. You'll find your fellow riders a small, but friendly lot who enjoy good music and conversation. Feel free to join in any time. That's what keeps the Bus on the road.

November 02, 2007 8:26 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Dan, I credit Ian & Sylvia with my love of folk music. Their albums were always on my Uncle Bill's big ol' Magnavox stereo when I was growing up.

Patrick Sky is the founder of the Irish/American music label Green Linnet Records, but before that he was a folk singer/songwriter on the Greenwich Village scene in the '60s. This cut is from his self-titled first album on Vangaurd Records (1965.) The song I posted, "Many a Mile" was recorded by Steppenwolf on the same album with "The Pusher" (a Hoyt Axton song), "Born to be Wild", and "Snowblind Friend" (another song by Hoyt Axton.)

Patrick Sky recorded with Buffy Saint-Marie, Eric Andersen, and Mississippi John Hurt. His politically controversial album Songs That Made America Famous reflected his strong (some would say radical) political convictions. After the storm from Songs That Made America Famous he turned to playing traditional Irish music.

He has long been a favorite of mine and thanks to reminders from Lynne and Kat, I shall be posting more Patrick Sky in the future.

November 02, 2007 8:51 PM  
Anonymous john said...

I love that album by Pat. It's a bit like "South Park" . There's at least one tune on the album for everyone to find funny, embarrasing, and outrageous.
I really wish Pat would get back to recording some stuff like he did in the 60's. His self titled cd is great, but unfortunately his "A Harvest of Gentle Clang" is only available as a download from Vanguard.
http://www.vanguardrecords.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=558

November 04, 2007 7:34 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

John, We sure could use Pat's insightful songs once again. His views of Nixonian America were spot on, I can only imagine what he's got in his songbag now that W, Cheney, and their crew of criminals are in the Whitehouse.

November 04, 2007 11:21 PM  
Blogger Monster Library Student said...

Wow! That sounds like a cool lifestyle. I think all that moving builds character!

November 05, 2007 12:01 PM  
Anonymous john said...

Ed,
I was just going through the on line Northern Sun site
http://www.northernsun.com/n/s/index.html
this morning (need tuff for the new/used truck) and found this poster:

SIGNS OF FASCISM

The Early Warning Signs Of Fascism:

Powerful, and continuing Nationalism;
Disdain for Human Rights;
Identification of Enemies as a Unifying Cause; Supremacy of the Military;
Rampant Sexism;
Controlled Mass Media;
Obsession with National Security;
Religion and Government Intertwined;
Corporate Power Protected;
Labor Power Suppressed;
Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts;
Obsession with Crime and Punishment;
Rampant Cronyism and Corruption;
Fraudulent Elections.

hmmmmm.

November 05, 2007 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you Ed the call is getting louder all the time

Joey

November 05, 2007 12:55 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

MLS,
"I think all that moving builds character!"
It must, 'cause I've sure met some characters ;)

November 05, 2007 6:10 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

John,
I've seen that poster in the Northern Sun catalog.

Let's see: check, yep, check, check again... seems to me we've met all of the criteria.

November 05, 2007 6:13 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Joey,
You said it, buddy. Our paths crossed several times in those days. We worked hard while there was work, and partied hard when there wasn't. We didn't mind working 84 hour weeks, we knew when the job was over we could do as we pleased for 4-6 months before we packed up and moved on the the next job. Those were some good times. Nowadays we work long, hard hours, but the job never ends.

November 05, 2007 6:23 PM  

<< Home