Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sounds of Virginia: New Roanoke Jug Band


New Release!
New Roanoke Jug Band
"When My Time On Earth Is Done"


The New Roanoke Jug Band pays homage to the great musicians of the past with more than just their name. These guys have a real passion for traditional music that comes through in their new CD, ”When My Time On Earth Is Done”.
Hailing from an area with such a long, rich musical history, NRJB has embraced that tradition and made it their own. Their influences are varied, but lean more toward the music of Will Shade & the Memphis Jug Band than it does the original Roanoke Jug Band. Yes, they’ve got a jug blower, earning the right to call themselves a jug band. In fact, you’ll hear jug, washboard, and kazoo on this tasty CD.

The New Roanoke Jug Band is comprised of the core duo of Scott Baldwin (guitar, slide guitar, jug, banjo and vocals) and Jay Griffin (fiddle, washboard, kazoo, and vocals). The band has recently gone through some personnel changes, and the current members compliment each other well, making for some wonderful arrangements that come together naturally yet still retains that porch pickin’ flavor. Rounding out the NRJB sound are; Andrew Thomas (bass, accordion, and backing vocals), Jeff Hoffman (bowed double bass – an unexpected addition that adds an awesome effect to “Rock Me Chariot”), and Sam Lunsford (banjo, guitar, harmonica, and percussion).

The band touts the new CD as the “first ever jug band gospel CD”. It’s hard to argue with that claim, but their interpretation of gospel is a bit loose. The liner notes say “The songs on this album explore life’s ultimate question from different perspectives. They express the full range of human emotions: hope and faith, doubt and regret, resignation and fear, and even defiant disbelief.” The selection of songs is both eclectic and satisfying, NRJB have done their research and handpicked songs that fit the theme of the CD as expressed in the statement above. There is an incredible variety of music here, from raw, almost primitive a cappella spiritual and jubilant tent revival gospel to remorseful country blues.

Speaking of liner notes, the packaging of ”When My Time On Earth Is Done” is very nicely done. Pleasing to the eye and includes a six page booklet describing each song, its history, and the reason it was included.

”When My Time On Earth Is Done” has not left my CD player since it arrived last week, and has made it impossible for anyone hearing it to sit still. Now, I won’t claim that it cured that nasty cold I had, but I’ll have to admit that I have felt much better with each listen.

Track List:
Lord I Don’t Want to Die in The Storm
Kingdom’s Come
Ain’t Gonna Lay My Armor Down
Grandin Village
Woke Up This Morning
Jugband Prayer of Death
When I Get Home I’m Gonna Be Satisfied
Man of Constant Sorrow
Thou Carest Lord
I Shall Not Be Moved
Wish I’d-a Heard ‘Em
In That Morning
Rock Me Chariot
Burnin’ Hell
Be Ready When the Bridegroom Comes
Heaven’s Airplane
I’ll Be Rested
Heaven Bound

Have a drink of the New Roanoke Jug Band...

New Roanoke Jug Band – Heaven’s Airplane.mp3

New Roanoke Jug Band – I’ll Be Rested.mp3

New Roanoke Jug Band – “When My Time On Earth Is Done” is available from County Sales.
Highly Recommended!

Y'all have a good weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

If you "highly recommend" something, it's damn sure worth a listen! - I'll Be Rested seems a little appropriate for a Friday that caps a very long week. Thanks for sharing it, Ed.

By the way, we've had 31" of rain here in North Florida the past 18 days; you wouldn't happen to have a really large mop in that bus, would you? Have a good weekend my friend.

October 05, 2007 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

You've just sold a CD. These samples sound great, and I especially enjoy the fact that a booklet is included, giving background on the song. I like being edumacated while I listen. Nice one, Ed! And for Chris, here in southern Ontario Canada, we are sweltering through humid haze with highs in the 90's. Last year on this day, we had snow.

October 05, 2007 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mop? Ed don't need no stinking mop. Ed has a kayak, paddles, etc.

This post is even more appropriate to me, as a dear friend lies in a coma in her last days. The dreaded cancer, of course.

October 05, 2007 9:59 PM  
Blogger Jim H. said...

Continuing the weird weather theme, here in Minnesota we hit an all-time high temp record for this date -- 87 today. The box elder bugs have no clue what to do.

An idea for Ed -- weather songs. Seems like a lot of music has been written about floods and drought and tornadoes and such.

A co-worker asked me just yesterday if I'd ever been to Roanoke. Yes, I had. And now I have again!

Thanks, Ed.

October 06, 2007 7:13 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I don’t “Highly Recommend” things very often, but I was so thoroughly taken with this CD I felt it deserved the tag. You won’t be disappointed Dan and any one else who ordered a copy.

Chris, I think sunny Florida is the only place in the country with rain! Here in Virginia the mercury is in the 90s and the calm air is thick with humidity. Not an average October. We haven’t had any rain in so long, the rivers are all dry and we are under water use restrictions.

Good idea for a theme, Jim, and I am always looking for ideas. There are plenty of weather related songs to choose from. I’ll see what I can pull together in the coming weeks.

October 07, 2007 7:06 PM  
Blogger The DoorKeeper said...

Just caught this before it dropped off the front page. Thanks Ed for cluing me in to this.

NEWSFLASH: It rained today in Ireland.

October 15, 2007 12:41 PM  

<< Home