Sunday, September 23, 2007

Two Years On

It’s hard to believe that it has been two years since the Old Blue Bus hit the road.

“Did you used to live in an old blue bus?” I was asked when I answered the phone. It was the voice of a friend that I had lost track of twenty some years earlier. He had tracked down a few other long lost friends from those nomadic days and we all set out to get reacquainted.

The original old blue bus was a gathering place for good friends, good food, and good music. It was an escape from the workaday world where friends could meet and share some good times. It was a base camp for canoe trips, a mobile sound studio, and a friendly stop along the road, but most of all it was my home.

This virtual Old Blue Bus hit the cyber backroads not long after that first phone call from an old friend. The idea was to rekindle those old friendships and share the good times with other like minded folk. Along the way a number of good people have hopped on the Bus. Many have become regular riders and their contributions have added greatly to the sense of community that has prevailed in this space.

My wife and I once owned a small record shop and produced a monthly concert series in Hobe Sound, Florida. At one of the concerts I was interviewed by a reporter from the Palm Beach Post. The reporter could not get over the diverse crowds that turned out for the concerts. There were retirees, young families, college students, beach bums, business owners, and local government officials all swaying, tapping their toes, dancing, and clapping as if all was well with the world. The young reporter asked what we did to draw such a diverse crowd. I suppose I looked a bit bewildered at his question as I replied “Why, it’s the music, of course.”

The music. Of course. Over the years I have noticed that the appreciation and enjoyment of good music is a universal joy. It doesn’t matter where you are from, your political or religious beliefs, the color of your skin, or any of the other superficial ways humans tend to categorize themselves. When we share good music all of those excuses and defenses fall away.

During these past two years my faith in the good in people has been reinforced by the wonderful folks that have joined this Old Blue Bus on its journey. Had it not been for you, dear riders, I would have parked this old Bus long ago.

Guy Carawan - Jubilee.mp3

Bill Staines - Jubilee.mp3


For those who have asked, that is me on the roof of the original Old Blue Bus with old friends, Dean on the fender, and Denny behind the car. The photo was taken by our anonymous friend twenty-five years ago. The same anonymous friend who reminded me of this anniversary in a comment Friday past. And it was he who made that phone call two years ago. Thank you, friend, for your encouragement, support and friendship over all of these years and miles gone by.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Woodshed said...

Happy 2nd birthday, Old Blue Bus.

May you ride on long enough to live up to your name.

September 24, 2007 4:46 AM  
Blogger Gustavo said...

Congrats!!!

Stay on the road!

Cheers!

September 24, 2007 7:24 AM  
Anonymous john said...

As has been said,
"Happy 2d birthday"
"Congratulations"
and,
may I add,

"Thank You!".

September 24, 2007 9:25 AM  
Blogger kjk said...

Ed, congratulations on making the 2 year mark. Here's to many, many more!

September 24, 2007 3:34 PM  
Anonymous G-Dub said...

I'd like to echo the above sentiments, especially the "Thank You"!

Without the internet, and people like you, it would be difficult to explore my musical interests.

The commercial world just doesn't understand me!

September 24, 2007 4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a good post about finding the good in people. Not only do our differences fade away as the music begins, it also, through that universal joy, washes away the trials of the day. George Eliot said, "There is no feeling, except the extremes of fear and grief, that does not find relief in music"

By the way, you're welcome.

September 24, 2007 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed I don't comment very often but ride with you forever I will. Memories may fade with the years but thanks to you they are as fresh now as the cold brews at Vanesa's. As long as there are a few of us still kicking the Bus will be on a never ending back road. Keep Driving Killer Bob

September 24, 2007 8:35 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

My sincere thanks to all of you. It is you who make this daily excursion worthwhile.

September 24, 2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Killer Bob! So good to hear from you again, my friend. Thanks to good memories and good people, the Bus rolls on.

September 24, 2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger lynne said...

Well wishes from your Aussie rider. I read the 'Bus' with my morning beverage. 'I'm so glad, your glad'.

September 27, 2007 7:33 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Lynne,
I appreciate you proof reading my posts, as you are usually the first rider on the Bus each morning.

October 02, 2007 6:36 PM  

<< Home