Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hawaiian Charms


Well, you didn’t think I’d let all this talk about Hawaiian music slip by without posting some island tunes, did you?

All of this Hawaiian inspired music has put me in high spirits. Even watching the Decider give his endless rerun speech last night couldn’t dampen my tropical mood.

My daughter is off to paddle some whitewater on the Ocoee River in Tennessee, leaving Mama and me home alone all weekend.

I hope that you’ll understand if I keep my rambling short today.

Pat Patterson & his Champion Rep Riders - The Cat's Whiskers.mp3

Jules Ah See - Maui Chimes.mp3

Master's Hawaiians - Hawaiian Stormy Weather.mp3

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Pili Me Ka'u Manu.mp3
While Hawaiian music has left an imprint on American music, the late Israel Kamakawiwo'ole has led the resurgance of Hawaiian music for the past decade and on into the future.

Y’all have a good weekend!
Aloha.

6 Comments:

Blogger Black Dog said...

Bonjour ED, I had my doubts at 10AM on my auditory system just before preparing a workshop on gregorien music. Well, won't be using maui chimes but Cat's Whiskers is too good. It has put me in the alleluia spirit in excelsis Deo and all.

tutti pensieri volano... k.

September 14, 2007 3:25 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Black Dog,
Bonjour, mon ami. Gregorien music, eh? Nope, no help there, but The Cat's Whiskers is a great way to start any day.
Have fun with your workshop.

September 14, 2007 6:13 AM  
Blogger Jim H. said...

I assume that's a glass of Primo beer in the picture. Primo was the only mass-produced beer on the Islands for many decades.

I think Keola Beamer has done a masterful job of giving traditional slack-key sound a contemporary twist.

One of my fondest memories is sitting in a hotel in Hilo, listening to a local band. Our host, who'd grown up on the Big Island and knew the musicians, got them to sing The Hilo March in Hawai'ian. He translated for us. The song says, in a nutshell, that the white settlers nearly wrecked the islands. The delicious irony was that the haoles in the audience had no idea of the meaning of the song and so were smiling and clapping in blissful ignorance.

Thanks again for such a delightful blog.

September 14, 2007 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

I can picture it perfectly. There you are in front of your speakers with the sound cranked. The curtains are drawn as tightly as possible. A nosy neighbour peeks through the crack in the curtains and sees Ed gently swaying to the beat in nothing but his grass skirt. You'll spend a while trying to live that one down. Great posts! They make me want to be there.

September 14, 2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Jim H.
Great story!
You'll get no arguement from me, Keola Beamer is the master of kī hō‘alu.

September 14, 2007 7:33 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Dan,
After all these years, NOTHING I do would surprise my neighbors.

September 14, 2007 7:34 PM  

<< Home