Tuesday, July 10, 2007

When the train comes along


Photo courtesty of CCPhotos CPD (Creative Commons, Attribution 2.5)

Wednesday. The middle of the workweek. Last weekend seems a distant memory and the coming weekend a far off goal.

There are over twenty six miles of railroad tracks at the industrial wasteland where I spend my workdays. I often watch as long lines of freight cars are assembled into trains bound for places far away. Trains can stir a nostalgic yearning for the freedom of the open country. The great hobo era of the Depression and Dust Bowl holds a certain romance for many, me included. The train is a symbol of freedom and a means of escape, as much as the river is. Work when you want, travel where you want, the hobo life has a certain appeal. I grew up along the rails and often hopped a slow moving freight to get into town and back. Spotting an open boxcar, I am often tempted to hop aboard and let it take me where it may, but I know that any train leaving this plant is only bound for another stinking, belching industrial plant.

C’est la vie!

Brownie McGhee - Freight Train Blues.mp3

Henry Thomas - When The Train Comes Along.mp3

Jim & Jesse - I Like Trains.mp3

Red Foley - Chattanooga Shoe Shine Boy.mp3

5 Comments:

Blogger pineyflatwoodsgirl said...

Hi Ed,
Since you like trains, you've got to read "Water for Elephants."
I like to sing "She's a Railroad Lady". Cheers, It's hump day tomorrow. I really like your canoe! pineyflatwoodsgirl

July 10, 2007 9:47 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

"Water for Elephants" looks like a good read. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the kind words about my canoe. It is an old Dagger Legend 15 footer. It has served me well for many years. I can almost keep up with my wife and daughter in their kayaks, even though I have "twice the boat and half the paddle." I've also outfitted it with a saddle, toe blocks, and thigh straps for solo whitewater trips.

July 10, 2007 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

I think that all of us, at some point in our lives, have felt the need to run away. It doesn't matter where you live or work. That open boxcar just looks so appealing. But, as you say, a ride would just lead us to another situation similar to the one we've left behind.

July 12, 2007 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

The Red Foley song was an education. The only time I had ever heard it, it was done by Freddy "Boom Boom" Cannon. Wow! Is his take on the song ever different! Thanks, Ed.

July 12, 2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Yep, Dan, I guess the grass always looks greener...

July 12, 2007 8:31 PM  

<< Home