Monday, July 30, 2007

A gentle ocean breeze would be nice about now

I spent a little free time on the Outer Banks this past week, paddling Albemarle Sound and camping on a few of the many islands. The sunsets on the Sound are always spectacular. One evening we climbed the soft sand dunes at Jockey’s Ridge State Park to enjoy a sunset from the heights of the dunes.

The loose, warm sand, gentle ocean breeze and wonderful sunset conjured visions of hula dancers, ukuleles, and slack key guitars. The only thing missing was a cool tropical drink, which I had back at camp, minus the paper umbrella.

Hawaiian music made its way to American shores around the turn of the last century. The exotic sound from a faraway paradise was just what folks needed. It was the beginning of the Progressive Age and all things old were rethought, while all things new were embraced. Hawaiian bands formed in hotel ballrooms across the country. From San Francisco to New York, even Little Rock, Arkansas boasted two Hawaiian bands.

One would think that this fervor over Steel Guitars and tropical rhythms was nothing more than a passing fad, but Hawaiian music had staying power. The sound of the slide guitar found its way into a wide variety of music from blues to old time to modern country.

I have posted about the influence of Hawaiian music on old time music before. I have also posted on the influence of Sol Hoopii and other Hawaiian guitarists on some of the earliest country music pioneers such as Tom Darby and Jimmie Tarlton, and once on the development of the resonator guitar.

The thing that intrigues me about Hawaiian music is how it has remained a part of American music for the past century. After its introduction to the American public in the early 1910s and popularity throughout the 1920s, its influence remained in the blues, old time, bluegrass, and country music. Of course, like many up beat musical styles, Hawaiian music fell from popularity during the Great Depression, but it returned in full force after WWII and remained popular well into the 1950s.

Pop/Country artist, Marty Robbins released a collection of beautifully recorded Hawaiian music in 1963 entitled Hawaii's Calling Me and in 1965, Jim Kweskin included “Ukelele Lady” on the now classic Jug Band Music LP.

I’ve gathered a few of the more obscure Hawaiian cuts from my collection for today’s post including; some Pop/Hawaiian from the 1920s by Eddy’s Hawaiian Serenaders, a strange combination of Hawaiian and yodeling in Spanish from Bezo’s Hawaiian Orchestra, and the amazing slide guitar on Patt Patterson’s “The Cat’s Whiskers”.

Eddy's Hawaiian Serenaders - Down In Waikiki.mp3

Patt Patterson And His Champion Pep Riders - The Cat's Whiskers.mp3

Bezos Hawaiian Orchestra - Pame Sti Honoloulou.mp3

Annie Kerr - I've Gone Native Now.mp3

Marty Robbins - Lovely Hula Hands.mp3

Jim Kweskin & the Jug Band - Ukelele Lady.mp3

Aloha, y'all!

13 Comments:

Blogger henry said...

aloha!

July 31, 2007 3:53 AM  
Blogger Black Dog said...

Bravo Ed !Good to see the bus can travel so far. My father was stationed in Hawaii, so when I was much younger than today let's say, Marty Robbins and LOVELY HULA HANDS was top ten even before Elvis. This music is far from my present reality so I like to go travelling on the old blue bus for a change of scenery.
Keep the bus going...

salutation, k.

July 31, 2007 6:20 AM  
Anonymous Laurel from Chicago said...

Great music, Ed. Just what I needed today! Let's all run away to Hawaii. Maybe we can open a bar and call it Lovely Houlihan's.

July 31, 2007 10:56 AM  
Blogger babelouise said...

Oh, what a pretty picture! We go to the Outer Banks, too. We always stay in Buxton. Have you ever gone hang gliding at Jockey's Ridge?

If you look through my blog,(if you are interested, most people aren't!) you will find lots of pictures from our trips!

July 31, 2007 10:59 AM  
Blogger babelouise said...

Oh, yeah! And my parents have that Hawaiian record by Marty Robbins!

July 31, 2007 11:00 AM  
Anonymous john said...

I always love to pull up next to a car full of kids and play "Pame Sti Honoloulou" at full blast. The looks on their faces are priceless.
What an amazing tune!

July 31, 2007 2:06 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Aloha, Henry and all!

Black Dog – Hawaiian music is a favorite here on the Bus, although it is not for all tastes, so I try not to over do it.

Laurel – I love it! “Lovely Houlihan's”

Babelouise – Thanks for the kind words about my photo, although it is pretty easy to get a beautiful sunset at Jockey’s Ridge. I paddle whitewater, wilderness rivers, lakes, and swamps. I see no need to leave the ground. BTW- My copy of Marty Robbins was left to me by my grandmother.

John – What a great payback!

July 31, 2007 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Woodshed said...

Excellent choices. I love that Bezos track. They throw absolutely everything into it.

There's nothing better on an English summer day than sitting back, playing Alekoki on the uke and pretending the flood waters lapping at the door are waves on a Hawaiian shore.

August 03, 2007 12:16 PM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

ahh the color our sky takes, pretty picture.

August 03, 2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Woodshed,
That's making the best of a bad situation!

Stay dry my friend, our thoughts are with you and your soggy neighbors.

August 03, 2007 9:18 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Nabeel,
Thank you. The photo doesn't do justice to the full beauty.

August 03, 2007 9:21 PM  
Blogger Patti McCracken said...

These fotos are making me a little homesick... I grew up in Virginia Beach, but now live in a village in Austria (not with a Blue Bus, with an old London taxi).

Good music...

August 07, 2007 2:45 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Welcome aboard, Patti,

It's a long way from Virginia Beach to Austria! No need to be homesick, I often post photos that I shoot around here. Whenever you are missing the Mid-Atlantic, jump on the Bus for a virtual trip with us.

I'd love to see that old London taxi!

August 07, 2007 8:22 PM  

<< Home