Thursday, June 07, 2007

On the Sunny Side of Life


Everyone has had those days when there seems to be a dark cloud hanging over your head. Whether the cause is a major event or an accumulation of smaller troubles, at times even the sunniest disposition can get tarnished.

I’ve always found that music can play a substantial roll in parting the clouds to reveal the sun once again. A favorite song can have a healing effect. Master Autoharpist, Bryan Bowers, on his CD “Friend for Life”, states that once “you learn a song, you have a friend for life.” I have several favorite songs that I hum or sing to myself when I am in a particularly good mood, but I’ll also sing them when I find myself in a rut and need to chase the blues away.

Then there are those songs written to celebrate life and the good times. These songs have an infectious quality that makes it hard not to get caught up in the good feelings.

A few songs to roll away the clouds:
Hylo Brown - Clouds Gonna Roll Away.mp3

The Lost & Found - Sun's Gonna Shine in My Back Door Someday.mp3

The Country Gentlemen - The Sunny Side of Life.mp3

And a few favorite songs:
Foghorn String Band - Fine Times At Our House.mp3

East Virginia - Oak Grove.mp3

Grayson & Whitter - Shout Lula.mp3

J.E. Mainer & Red Smiley - Shady Grove.mp3

Don Reno & Red Smiley - Lee Highway Blues.mp3
Possibly my all-time favorite song, original (and best, IMHO) by Grayson & Whitter, but I posted that not too long ago.


The dog ate my homework:

Well now, doesn’t it figure? I had planned to continue our discussion of the ability of music to lift the spirits, but I didn’t get home last night until well after midnight, too beat to do much more than climb into bed. As always, my alarm went off at 4:30 this morning and I was on my way back to work. It wasn’t until lunchtime that I realized that I hadn’t eaten since lunch the previous day.

I had hoped to write two separate posts, one on “Sunny” songs and the other on favorite songs. Since I didn’t get a chance to write a post yesterday, and I’m looking forward to hitting the sack tonight, I have combined the two and kept my rambling to a minimum.

I will not be working this weekend. I plan to be on the water at the Super Demo Day at Appomattox River Company. My wife and youngest son both need new kayaks, and I may test paddle a few myself. As much as music, the water has the power to set one’s mind back on the right path.

Y’all have a good weekend!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

Sorry Hon, I consider myself scolded... I guess "go figure" isn't as bad as "why do I bother"! I've not hitched a ride on the bus much lately between spouse's surgeries, PUPPIES!, USAV Nationals in TX, work, and just being somewhat grumpy, I've not been in the right frame of mind to do your posts justice. I did notice the "Long Black Veil" post... loved it! I'll look farther back for my "blue eyes" post.

Have fun on the river; I'm going to try to hit the RC Beer & Seafood Festival.

June 08, 2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

River sounds great to me too, Ed! Hope it's a blast.

June 08, 2007 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

You've covered a HUGE range of "Sunny Side" stuff with this post! If we aren't satisfied with this, then we're just too hard to please. Great job, and may your kayaks float well.

June 08, 2007 6:54 PM  
Anonymous john said...

I followed your link to Brian's site and was instantly reminded that 30 years have gone by since seeing him at Charlotte's Web www.snapshotmusic.com/charlottesweb. We've both gotten more gray hair but I see he's managed to retain a lot more of it than I !

June 09, 2007 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Rockin'n'Rollin said...

Hello Ed,
The rhythm of 'Shout Lula' is similar to the rhythms of Bo Diddley.

According to of my searches the Diddley
rhythm comes from the samba-mambo.
(more the mambo I think)

The rhythm of shout Lula comes
from this afroamerican tradition
or it comes from european white dances?
In this case what are the name of this dance?

What are your thought ?

June 11, 2007 7:02 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi folks, The weekend and the river were great!

Lucy, I wanted to make the Beer and Seafood Fest, but got back from Farmville much too late. Hope you had a great time.

John, I too remember a less-grey Bryan Bowers. He has faired better than many of us.

Rockin’n’rollin’, here in Virginia, we would refer to “Shout Lulu” (aka: Shout Little Lulu, Shout Lula, Fish on a Hook, Hook and Line...) as an Old Time Breakdown. Like most music in America, it was derived from various sources. Most texts suggest that it may have been derived from an early minstrel tune, “My Old Dad”. There is definatley an early Black influence. The fiddle style is that of southwestern Virginia and northeast Tennessee (generally, Bristol), a crossroads in American music, with many influences.

June 11, 2007 7:54 PM  
Anonymous rockin'n'rollin' said...

many thks Ed!

June 13, 2007 11:16 AM  

<< Home