Monday, June 11, 2007

Monroe's Wellspring

Bill Monroe’s band helped to launch the careers of many of bluegrass music’s greatest artists. A list of the musicians that were, at one time or another, members of Bill Monroe’s Blue Grass Boys, reads like a list of genre’s greats.

Mac Wiseman, Earl Scruggs, Lester Flatt, Chubby Wise, Jimmy Martin, Charlie Cline, Sonny Osborne, David "Stringbean" Akeman, Del McCoury, Vassar Clements, Peter Rowan, Byron Berline, Kenny Baker, Bill Keith, Richard Greene, and Carter Stanley, all came to the listening public’s ears as Blue Grass Boys.

With such incredible talent, it’s no wonder that Bill Monroe’s Blue Grass Boys set the standard for great bluegrass instrumentals.

Bill Monroe - Bugle Call Rag.mp3

Bill Monroe - Kentucky Mandolin.mp3

Bill Monroe - Shenandoah Breakdown.mp3

3 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

Oh hell yea! This is just what I needed today, Ed; how did you know?

I didn't make it to the festival either. I've neglected my garden shamefully and spent some quality time in it this weekend trying to make it feel loved. It’s amazing the veggies you can find when you pull out the weeds! Between weeding all weekend & volleyball last night, I'm a hurtin' pup today. Thanks for keeping me posted on upcoming festivals.

June 12, 2007 12:06 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I'm happy to have helped ease some pain, Lucy.

I was going to ask if you were going to Colonial Downs Saturday for music, beer, and pony races. I checked the music line up and beer vendors and neither are appealing. Except for Legend, most of the beer is Bud products, collected fresh in the stables each morning. I’ll pass.

June 13, 2007 5:51 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

We happened upon a station last night about much of the bluegrass that you post and is near and dear to my heart. I'm not sure which channel it was for I rarely have control of the remote!

I've never been to Col. Downs, and if that's the extent of the beer options, I'm not in a rush ;)
Damn, I sound like a beer snob!

June 13, 2007 12:13 PM  

<< Home