Sunday, June 17, 2007

It's gonna be a Great Day!


I couldn't have asked for a better weekend.

Saturday we made another trip to Farmville, to trade in my younger son's kayak on a new one. He has had his old boat since he was 14, and now at 19 he doesn't fit in it any longer. We loaded everyone's boats on the car for the trip, and it's a good thing we did, because while we were in Farmville, we decided to slip into the Appomattox River for a short paddle.

Sunday we met up with some other old Volvo nuts and went for a cruise up to Louisa County to visit the Cooper Vineyards and taste some wonderful local wines. It was a lovely day for a cruise and for good wine with new friends.

It was a busy, but thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Unfortunately, I don’t have time for a proper musical post. Only one song has been playing in my head all weekend. I know I have posted this before, over a year ago, but it is such a fitting song, I must repost it. Hopefully this song’s message will carry us through another Monday and the return to work.

Suzanne McDermott - Great Day.mp3
Suzanne McDermott is an exceptionally talented singer/songwriter, and a favorite on the Bus. Visit her website for more info about Suzanne's music and to order CDs. She also has some great free mp3s, lyrics and sheet music available.

Y’all have a great day.

9 Comments:

Blogger kjk said...

i had an exceptional weekend myself. had out-of-town relatives in. and while the whole clan was inside watching a movie, dad and i sat in the yard making music. i accompanied him (if one can call it that) on fiddle as he played guitar and sang a couple hours worth of Hank Williams, Gene Autry, Lefty Frizzell and even a few of his own songs. Dad's getting up there, so these impromptu jams are always very meaningful to me. it's incredible how energized he gets when he brings out that old guitar.

June 18, 2007 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed you picked out a great song to play.
I listen to this one all of the time.
Glad to hear that you are getting to get your boat wet.
My son went up to Gatlinburg a few weeks back and got
His first white water ride and I think the boy is hooked that is all
He has talked about since he has come home. He is looking for his next time to go.


Joey

June 18, 2007 2:38 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Ken, Your day with your dad sounds like you both got the best gift of all for Father's Day.

June 18, 2007 8:08 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Joey, Be careful, you may have raised a closet paddler about to emerge from his hiding place along the muddy bank, ready to venture off into faster water. I can't think of a better way for young folks to waste their lives, than in a small boat.

June 18, 2007 8:13 PM  
Blogger kjk said...

yup, ed. life is finally getting good again. the mrs. is done with her chemo and getting past the last of the side effects; i'm doing some much needed work around the house; my music is taking me where it will; and the Indiana Fiddler's Gathering is just days away!

here's a nice happy tune from the headliners for the riders on the bus:

Foghorn String Band - Golden Slippers

June 18, 2007 8:47 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks for sharing Ken. I'm glad to hear that your Mrs. is doing well. We wish you both all the best.

Have a great time at IFG. The lineup this year is great.

Fiddle on, my friend.

June 19, 2007 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Wonderful post, Ed.

Ken, I too thank you for sharing, and wishing you and the Mrs. many great days to come.

June 19, 2007 12:11 PM  
Blogger kjk said...

thanks, lucy! she's got a lot of strength.

June 19, 2007 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

I'm sure a lot of that strength comes from the love of a good man.

I have too many friends under going Chemo right now (of course, one would be too many) and having that strength and love to hang onto can make all the difference.

To better days... cheers!

June 20, 2007 11:59 AM  

<< Home