Monday, June 25, 2007

Intermission

Here in the sunny southland, the festival season really kicks into gear later in the year, after the hot and humid days of summer are past. I’ve been pouring over the festival schedules, trying to plan the rest of the summer events to attend. The overtime at the plant should begin winding down in the next month, and I’m overdue for an extended road trip. I’ll be marking my calendar and checking the maps this evening while I transfer some more of 78s.

While I’m planning my getaway, I’ll leave you with a couple of nice tunes.

The Ritchey Brothers - Sand Mountain Blues.mp3

Earl Taylor & Jim McCall - Ragtime Annie.mp3

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a zydeco dance evening in Ann Arbor on the 6th. Think I might go check it out. Do you wander that far from home, if it's not toward N'awlins?

June 26, 2007 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Earl and Jim really cook on "Ragtime Annie". Is this an original by them? The fidelity on this recording is amazing. I wish more bluegrass artists could find the engineers to record with this kind of sound. Great post!

June 26, 2007 6:49 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Anonymous, Good times and zydeco go hand in hand. I haven't been to Ann Arbor since a breif visit in the late '70s, but I remeber it as a great town with a lively nightlife.

I may not get around the country like I used to, but there has been some talk around my house lately, about meeting up with some very good old friends from Michigan and Alabama, as soon as I get done with the overtime at work.

June 26, 2007 8:05 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Dan, according to Andrew Kuntz's "The Fiddler's Companion" Ragtime Annie is of uncertain origin and "has been a staple of the North American fiddling repertoire."

I agree with your assessment of the engineering on this cut. High quality recording was never a priority on the older bluegrass cuts.

June 26, 2007 8:13 PM  
Blogger kjk said...

ed, i hate to hijack your blog again, but here's the slow (doc watson) version of CEJ that Jack from OZ (a place i'd love to get to some day) likes so much. I don't have your experience with LP to digital recording, so this will have to do for now ....

Doc Watson - Cotton Eyed Joe (Reprise).

According to "The Fiddle Book" by Marion Thede, cotton eyed is "a term descriptive of a person with very light blue eyes, a type often called 'white eye'."

June 26, 2007 9:19 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Ken, you can have the wheel anytime you want!

Once again you have come through for us. Your contributions here are very much appreciated.

June 27, 2007 6:14 AM  

<< Home