Tuesday, June 05, 2007

“How can a poor man stand such times as these?”


I stopped on the way home tonight to fill the old car with gas. Prices are inching up again; even regular grade is over $3/gallon. Unfortunately, that 40 year old car of mine doesn’t run right with anything less than high-test in the tank. At least it gets 26 mpg and it’s only 12 miles from the house to the industrial wasteland where I earn my living.

On the news tonight they estimate that milk is expected to rise above $5/gallon this summer. I’ll stick with beer, but I hear that the price of beer is expected to rise also, due to farmers growing less barley and more corn in order to cash in on the ethanol craze.

Gid Tanner & his Skillet Lickers - On Tanner's Farm.mp3

Blind Alfred Reed - How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times As These.mp3

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your right about the gas prices
killing us. With my son leaving
home to go off to school soon I
can stop buying that high price
milk now.

Joey

June 05, 2007 8:36 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

You're right about that, Joey. Now, if I could just get my boys to replace some of the beer they comsume.
I've just about given up on ever seeing my missing tools again.

June 05, 2007 7:14 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

I agree with you, Ed. I, too, will stick with beer. And when the price of beer goes through the roof, there will be riots in the streets of Canada. I'm not kidding. High beer prices can bring down a government in this country much faster than high gas prices.

June 06, 2007 6:23 PM  
Blogger kjk said...

i lived in montreal for a couple of years. i thought the price of beer was plenty high, with all the taxation. luckily the the alcohol percentage was higher, too!

June 06, 2007 7:32 PM  

<< Home