Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Good Life, The Country Life

There was a parcel on the porch when I walked up to the door this evening. I’ve been putting off recording the 78s that Walt brought by until I got a replacement stylus for my turntable. The stylus that I have been using for the past few years is specifically designed for use on LPs and is much too narrow for the wider grooves of the 78 rpm records. Fortunately, the maker of my cartridge, Ortofon, makes a replacement stylus just for the transfer and playback of 78s. Also in the package are a few bottles of cleaning and preservation fluids.

I’m anxious to get started on transferring these 78s, so I’ll keep this post short. Here are a few mountain classics that I was enjoying as I set up the new stylus and made a few adjustments to the tonearm. Y’all enjoy these while I get busy with Walt’s first batch of 78s.

Carter Family - Sow 'Em On The Mountain.mp3

Jimmy Renfro & His Memory Valley Boys - The Life We Live.mp3

Hylo Brown - The Preacher and The Bear.mp3

4 Comments:

Anonymous Dan said...

I really enjoyed Hylo's tune. It's a song that has a melody, and it actually tells a story. Too bad that the songwriters of today can't figure out that a clean, simple story told with a good melody is what it takes to have your song stand up to the test of time. Today's music is all beat, and it just won't last. As Rick Dees said many years ago, disco sucks. This stuff rules.

June 20, 2007 5:23 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Well said, Dan.

June 20, 2007 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed,

I love the house in the picture; it seems so marvellously rustic and homely, in the best sense.

Is it yours?

Jack,
Melbourne

June 21, 2007 5:52 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

No, Jack, I wish that it were. Actually, it is that smaller of two lightkeepers houses at the Currituck Lighthouse located on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I was taken by the same qualities you describe. I must have shot a few dozens photos that day.

June 22, 2007 6:10 AM  

<< Home