Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Choose Your Path Well


There are times during our short journey through life that we become disillusioned, unhappy with the direction that we are headed. Each of us has the ability, if not the courage, to change direction, to take another path if we so choose.

When I find myself starting to feel dissatisfied with a part of my life, I try to step back and put it all in perspective. More often than not, it boils down to attitude. If you let something bother you and don’t take steps to alleviate the trouble, it can slowly grow to affect other aspects of life.

I once had a friend who was a preacher, and his favorite axiom was to “Live with an attitude of gratitude.” My preacher friend and I may have had our differences, but on that matter we were in total agreement. An appreciation for the things in your life that make it worthwhile can you help to see how meaningless many of the small irritations are. As I get older, I believe I am becoming a more patient person. It’s either that or I just don’t give a damn about as many inconsequential troubles. I’m happy with my lot in life. Sure, this road I have chosen has a few potholes, they all do, but with some good tunes and good companions one hardly notices the bumps in the road.

Music has a profound effect on one’s attitude. The psychological effect of music has been known for several millenniums. There is truth in the old adage that “music soothes the savage beast.” Muzak founded an entire industry based on the power of music to persuade.

As most of you know, I have been working very long hours for the past six months. I enjoy what I do for a living, but I abhor that it is occupying so much of my life right now. I need an attitude adjustment, so for the rest of the week I’ll try to post a few of songs that have a way of smoothing the path and lifting the clouds.

The Carter Family collected a few songs from the mountains that are just what the doctor ordered.

The Carter Family - Give Me The Roses While I Live.mp3

The Carter Family - Keep On The Sunny Side.mp3

7 Comments:

Blogger kjk said...

very well said.

June 06, 2007 9:16 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I like your reflections. I've been blessed with a greater acceptance & patience with age, though I could always use much more. Gratitude & deep breathing will get you though a lot of stressful situations! And of course, music. Thanks for keepin' on keepin' on, Ed!

June 06, 2007 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Well said, Ed! Music soothes the soul. Those of us who've really learned to listen to music, rather than have it as background noise, can appreciate what you speak of. Favourite tunes can turn a day of crap into a restful and refreshing night's sleep.

June 06, 2007 6:17 PM  
Blogger kjk said...

ed, you get a lot of well-deserved praise for your musical posts, but i want to say that your choice of pictures is also damned good. i can surmise that more than a few are of your own composition .... great job! you are on a real roll.

June 06, 2007 7:15 PM  
Blogger kjk said...

ha! ed, i swear on all that is right that i posted my comment about your photography before i read your comment under the "cow" thread!

June 06, 2007 7:35 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Ken, Greg, and Dan, You guys are great examples of the power of good attitudes, and also of the type of good people that this music attracts.

Thank you, guys, for the encouragement I need to keep this Bus on the road.

June 07, 2007 3:38 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Ken, thanks for the kind words about my photos. I have as much fun selecting photos for each post as I do the music.

I try to use my own shots if I have anything remotely appropriate.

Ignore my comment under the "cow" post. I assume the comment that I replied to was posted by our friend and resident farm girl, Lucy, whom we haven't heard from in a while.

I truly appreciate ALL comments, they are a big part of what keeps me going.

June 07, 2007 3:50 PM  

<< Home