Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sun, Sand, and Tequila


Long hours at the plant have taken their toll this week. I believe I’m overdue for a long weekend.

I mentioned to the wife that I’ve had a hankerin’ for a weekend on a river in the mountains (she doesn’t read these daily ramblings.) She thought a long weekend was a great idea, but had a different location in mind. So, we compromised, she said “the beach” and I said “sure.” After twenty-five years together I’ve finally learned the art of compromise.

We all need a little time away from the work-a-day world now and again. A long sandy beach, an umbrella, an ocean breeze, and a well stocked cooler by my side fits the bill just fine. Three or four days on the Outer Banks of North Carolina should do the trick.

I’ll leave the bus idling, y’all make yourselves at home.

Captain Stubby and the Buccaneers - Come Wet Your Mustache With Me.mp3

Jim Reeves - Drinking Tequila.mp3

Ernie & Mack - Gonna Raise A Ruckus Tonight.mp3

7 Comments:

Anonymous Dan said...

I've recently discovered this song by Old Crow Medicine Show, and I thought they wrote it. I love the way these blogs educate, as well as entertain! Thanks for the great post.

May 12, 2007 5:50 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Dan, I assume the song you found was "Raise a Ruckus Tonight." The song actualy pre-dates this version. I posted a version by Jim Smoak & the Louisiana Honeydrippers back in May of last year. Smoak recorded it in the 1940s. Gus Cannon also recorded it back in the late 1920s. The Georgia Yellow Hammers, Mainer's Mountaineers, Mobile Strugglers, and many others also recorded it in the 1920s.

It is believed to have been derived from an old Negroe Spritual and was very popular in the Southern US in the late 1800s.

May 13, 2007 7:25 AM  
Blogger Mephisto said...

Post your Updates @ Totally Fuzzy

Hi Ed,

If you would like to publish your updates on the Totally Fuzzy blog, you can do so yourself now by posting the updates as a comment on this page.

Cheers

=M=

May 13, 2007 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Thanks for that, Ed. I had no idea that "Raise A Ruckus" had such a rich history. It's amazing that a song from that long ago could have so much Rock & Roll in it. But then, I've heard many Bach and Beethoven tunes that have one helluva more R&R than the crap that's passed off in that genre these days!

May 17, 2007 5:21 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

You're right about that, Dan!

May 18, 2007 6:20 AM  
Blogger kjk said...

Hope you enjoyed your weekend, Ed!

May 18, 2007 3:11 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks Ken. It was good to get away for a few days.

May 21, 2007 10:11 PM  

<< Home