Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Smoothin' out the edges

Wednesday was one of those days that never seemed to end. I got a lot accomplished, and I suppose I should take some solace in that, but every time I looked at the clock it didn’t appear to have changed from the last peek.

By the time I got home, I just had to make a little music to set myself straight again. I took an Autoharp out to my rocking chair on the porch. A couple of Carter Family tunes quickly put my head back where it belongs and soon all was well with the world. Ah, the power of music! If only more troubles were so easily vanquished.

Mother Maybelle Carter has been an influence on all Autoharp players, your humble driver included. As originally designed, the Autoharp was meant to be sat on a tabletop and strummed. Maybelle Carter played with her Autoharp resting on a small table when she first started performing, but the Autoharp is a very quiet instrument, especially when accompanied by more vocal instruments such as the guitar and banjo. In order for her instrument to be better heard, Mother Maybelle lifted her Autoharp off the table and held it to her chest, helping to direct the sound forward rather than up.

Nowadays, nearly all Autoharp players hold their instrument “Mother Maybelle” style.

Of course, I am a bit biased, but I find Mother Maybelle’s Autoharp music soothes a rough day. Perhaps a few other riders on the Bus could use a little soothing today.

Mother Maybelle Carter - Drunkard's Hell.mp3

Mother Maybelle Carter - Running Bear.mp3

Sara & Maybelle Carter - Happiest Days Of All.mp3

6 Comments:

Blogger lynne said...

hi ed, just dropped by to say hello. I am in hospital with my daughter for a few months. Unable to hear your music but looking forward to catching up ...lynne Musical Notes

May 24, 2007 7:42 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks for the note, Lynne. Our thoughts are with you and your daughter.

May 24, 2007 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Great post, Ed! The autoharp is an amzing instrument. If the angels in Heaven are playin' any instrument these days, it has to be this'un.

May 24, 2007 6:28 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I've got to agree, Dan, the Autoharp is an amazing instrument.

May 24, 2007 7:48 PM  
Anonymous john said...

Aren't devotees of the Autoharp called "Autoharpoons"?

May 28, 2007 5:00 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

John, I prefer "Autoharpoholic"

May 28, 2007 6:44 PM  

<< Home