Thursday, May 03, 2007

Kumbaya

I did not set out to be so political on the Bus this week, but I offer no apologies. Every year on this date for the past 37 years I have paused to remember the massacre at Kent State. This year in particular, with the disclosure just last month that there is an audio recording that appears to include the order to open fire.

On the 4th of May 1970, a group of students gathered for the fourth day to peacefully protest Richard Nixon’s announcement of the escalation of US troops in Vietnam and the invasion of Cambodia.

It breaks my heart to think that we have not learned anything from those turbulent times.

It is Friday though, so I'll lighten up a bit on the music.

Rod McKuen with the Horizon Singers - Folk Music.mp3

The Halifax Three - The Man Who Wouldn't Sing Along With Mitch.mp3

Chad Mitchell Trio - The Sound Of Protest.mp3

Peter, Paul & Mary - Kumbaya.mp3
Kumbaya (Come by Here) is an old Gullah hymn. The Gullah are African-American inhabitants of the Sea Islands off the coast of South Carolina & Georgia.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I for one am delighted to have you speaking your mind. I was in high school at the time of Kent State & I remember the affair vividly. And just this week we saw the LAPD in action against demonstrators in a manner sure to bring back recollections from folks like you & me....

I too am saddened by the seeing lack of historical memory and consequent ability to learn of the part of our "leaders."

Thanks for all the great tunes, though....

May 04, 2007 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Dan said...

First of all, thanks for the Canadian content. Love the Rod Mckuen and the Halifax Three. Most Canucks never knew the Halifax Three, and most have long forgotten Rod.
It's pathetic, and I mean absolutely pathetic that incidents continue to arise that remind us of the great mistakes of the past. I walk around humming "When will they ever learn?/ When will they ever learn?

May 04, 2007 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was in high school, a senior, during the Kent State incident. Because of it, I canceled my university plans and went to a community college that fall. I wanted to be safe in my own bed each night. "Safe in my own bed", that's a laugh in these troubled times.

May 06, 2007 9:58 AM  

<< Home