Monday, May 21, 2007

"I don't like to wear no shoes"


It’s finally here! We’ve been looking forward to it all winter long and now Festival Season is here. Memorial Day Weekend is the unofficial kick off of the summer festival season here in the States. Our friend Dan reminded us that north of the border they started the season this past weekend with Victoria Day.

Once again, I plan to enjoy as many outdoor festivals as I can possibly get to this year. Overtime at the industrial wasteland that pays my bills should be over by the end of June. Until then I’ll have to stay closer to home, but there are plenty of good festivals nearby to enjoy.

For those of you free to travel the season kicks off with some great festivals.
Here are just a few:

Wind Gap Bluegrass Festival
June 07 - June 10, 2007
Wind Gap, Pennsylvania

North Fork Bluegrass & Roots Music Festival
June 08 - June 10, 2007
Hotchkiss, Colorado

Celebration in Old Town
June 08 - June 10, 2007
Chicago, Illinois

Bill Monroe Memorial Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival
June 09 - June 16, 2007
Bean Blossom, Indiana

5th Annual Canada Day Jam
July 01, 2007
Toronto, Ontario

It’s time to slip off those shoes, fill the cooler, and enjoy some good live music in the warm sunshine.

Bill Clifton - Barefoot Days.mp3

Reno & Smiley - Barefoot Nellie.mp3

Stringbean - Shake That Little Foot Sally Ann.mp3

8 Comments:

Anonymous john said...

Willow Folk Festival
Stockton, IL

(on US 20 - 45 miles east of Dubuque IA)

August 11th & 12th

May 22, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger kjk said...

ed, do you have more info on the "celebration in old town" in chicago?

i know about the "folk and roots festival," july 14-15: http://oldtownschool.org/festival/ but couldn't find anything on the other in my brief on-line search.

May 22, 2007 11:35 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

John - Thanks for the info on Willow.

May 22, 2007 12:28 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Ken - Celbration in Old Town (also known as the Party in the Plaza) is at St. Michael's, June 8-10. More info here:
http://www.starevents.com/partyPlaza.html

May 22, 2007 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Although our summers are hot here in southern Ontario, Canada, our winters are too long and too cold. Ed, I agree that it's time to slip off those shoes. I refer to summer as "dirty feet season", and I try to go shoeless as often as possible. Boots are forgotten for at least a few months. The closest thing to them will be hip waders worn to fish. I hope the week goes by quickly for all Americans, so you can get to Memorial Day in a flash.

May 22, 2007 4:04 PM  
Anonymous john said...

I haven't been to Willow in years so I can't say how good it is now. I'll ask around though.

May 22, 2007 5:28 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Dan – For enduring those long, cold winters, our Canadian friends deserve an extra week of summer.
I like your description of summer as “dirty feet season”. I, too, spend much of the summer shoeless and as much time as possible on a river.

May 22, 2007 7:08 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

John - Many years ago (~1981), I was working and living in LaSalle County, IL. I recall attending a wonderful little festival with some friends. I don't remember the name of the festival, but it was a great time.
Let us know if you find any more about Willow.

May 22, 2007 7:17 PM  

<< Home