Thursday, April 26, 2007

Slide guitar, a sandy beach and umbrella drinks

One cannot have a discussion of slide guitar without at least a mention of Hawaiian guitar and the craze that took the world by storm in the 1920s.

The guitar made its way to Hawaii by way of Spanish sailors on trading ships. One of the modern masters of the slide guitar, Bob Brozman, says that the first documented use of the slide guitar in Hawaii took place in 1876.

So, Put on your best flowered shirt and mix up a tall tropical drink. It's Friday!

Kanui & Lula - My Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua.mp3

Kanui & Lula - Tomi Tomi.mp3

I realize that I have posted My Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua just this past November, but I was in the mood to hear it again. A word of thanks to our good friend and frequent commenter, Rockin’n’rollin’, for sharing this copy of Tomi Tomi with the other riders on the Bus.

Aloha, y'all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Dan said...

I'm lookin' for a front seat on the bus after this! I've played lap steel for the last twenty years, and in the last six months I've picked up a Regal Dobro. I'll be playing along to these gems for months to come. Slide is slide, but I think I enjoy the acoustic sound just a little more. Apologies to Johnny Winters. Nice Post.

April 27, 2007 6:41 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Dan. I’m kinda partial to acoustic myself, but as you say “slide is slide”. I remember you mentioning that you were keeping an eye out for a resonator; the Regal was an excellent choice.

Junior Brown is playing at the Canal Club in Richmond, VA tonight. His unique "guit-steel" guitar is sort of a double neck combination of electric guitar and lap steel. I’ll be there enjoying both.

April 27, 2007 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I always like the stuff you introduce me to, but those hawaiian tracks are really, really fabulous. Really.
-Stephanie

April 30, 2007 4:58 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Glad you enjoy them Stephanie. It's easy to understand how Hawaiian music became so wildly popular during the '20s.

May 06, 2007 1:21 PM  

<< Home