Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A Little 'Grass With Your Corn

Wow! I should have saved yesterday’s post for Friday. It had my toe tappin’ all day. By the time I got home from work I was well overdue for a cold beer.

After I knocked the edge off that awful thirst I poured myself a fourth, grabbed an Autoharp and settled into my rocking chair. The very first song I ever learned to play was “Old Brown Jug”, and it is still one of my favorites. It’s a simple little tune with a happy melody.

I once heard Bluegrass described as “Old Time music performed by depressed people on amphetamines.” Not all Bluegrass fits the High Lonesome stereotype though. Some Bluegrass is downright fun.

The Frosty Mountain Boys - Mama Likes Bluegrass Music.mp3

Hylo Brown - Little Brown Jug.mp3

Don Reno & Bill Harrell - Hot Corn, Cold Corn.mp3

Our friend and long time rider on the Bus, Larry, sent this photo of the famous old Martha White bus. It has been used by many Bluegrass artists including Bill Monroe and Flatt& Scruggs. Thanks Larry!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Ed you know me and Blue Grass this is a good way to wind down the week

Joey

April 12, 2007 6:29 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Good idea, Joey. I'll finish the week out with a few more bluegrass gems.

April 12, 2007 4:35 PM  

<< Home