Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fingerpickin' Goodness

There are basically two ways to play a guitar, the difference being in the way that the strings are struck. All of the music in Monday’s post was created using a pick (plectrum) to strum or strike the strings. This method is commonly called flatpicking. The other method is to use the fingertips or fingernails and is known as fingerpicking. When fingerpicking a guitarist will strum downward with the thumb and strike individual strings in an upward motion with two or three fingers.

There is no advantage to either fingerpicking or flatpicking. In the hands of a talented musician both are equally pleasing to my ears. Today, I have posted two of my favorite fingerpicked tunes. If you are not familiar with the two styles and their differences, listen closely to Monday’s post and compare it with today’s.

Sam McGee - Buck Dancer's Choice.mp3
Recorded 1926 - Sam McGee played with Uncle Dave Macon's Fruit Jar Drinkers for many years.

John Dilleshaw & the String Marvel - Spanish Fandango.mp3
Recorded 1929 - John Dilleshaw was a big, left handed guitarist from Georgia best known for his whimsically-named band, Seven Foot Dilly & His Dill Pickles. The String Marvel was his earlier band.

5 Comments:

Anonymous john said...

Spanish Fandango isn't the only song I know but it seems to be the only song I play. I've never heard two people play the same version of the song.

April 24, 2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger kjk said...

Great posts, Ed! Cant't wait to get home and listen.

April 25, 2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger Gustavo said...

I´m a blues-ragtime fingerpicker!.(or trying to...)

(Look my videos in my blog, if you want...)

Great post and great blog!.

Thanks a lot.

April 25, 2007 10:22 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks for both of these great tunes! I love ol' Dilly and it's nice to sample his pre-Pickles work.

April 25, 2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

John - Spanish Fandango is a great song in all of its endless versions.

Ken – I had hoped I had gotten around most corporate firewalls, yours must be particularly tough.

Gustavo – You are a very good fingerpicker from what I have heard! I visit Blues Comentado whenever I get a chance.
I’ve added a link, I should have done that long ago.

Greg – All too often John Dilleshaw is remembered for his whimsically named band and doesn’t get credit for the fine guitar work he left us.

April 25, 2007 10:12 PM  

<< Home