Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Song of the Workers: Mill and Factory


The industrial revolution changed the way many folks put food on the table. Until the mill and factory opened, the local economies were largely agrarian. Except for a few artisans, craftsmen, and merchants, most folks worked the farms. From the grand plantations of the Piedmont to the subsistence farmers of the hills, work was a seasonal affair.

At the end of the Civil War cotton mills were built in all parts of the American South. The mills provided a steady, year-round income. The work was hard and dangerous and the hours long.

David McCarn - Poor Man, Rich Man.mp3

Jim & Jesse McReynolds - Cotton Mill Man.mp3

- I am keeping the posts short this week. I can hear the collective sigh of relief. You will have less of my rambling nonsense to wade through. The past few weeks I have been extra busy. Along with the long hours I am putting in at work, and this daily Bus ride, I have taken on a few other tasks, perhaps too many.

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

"I am keeping the posts short this week. I can hear the collective sigh of relief. You will have less of my rambling nonsense to wade through."
Stop fishing for compliments, Ed! Your reflections are just as much a reason to ride the Bus as the music! I do hope things ease up for you -- I know that overworked, over-committed feeling....

March 21, 2007 8:13 AM  
Anonymous john said...

i just sent you "Cotton Mill Colic" by Dave McCarn.

March 21, 2007 9:08 AM  
Anonymous john said...

I swear McCarn had over a dozen versions of that song!

March 21, 2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Greg, Fishing? Hell, as I reread my post I realise I was begging! Thanks for the kind words. I have never considered myself much of a writer, but the subject of music and encouragement of commenters (especially such a wordsmith as you) is inspiring.

March 21, 2007 5:40 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

John, Thanks for the file! I believe you are right about McCarn. He seems to be a master at recycling.

BTW - I love the quote at the bottom of your note!

March 21, 2007 5:43 PM  

<< Home