Thursday, March 01, 2007

"I ain't had no lovin' since you've been gone": Corrine, Corrina

I can’t recall when I first heard the classic Corrine, Corrina. It is one of those songs that seem to have been in my memory forever.

It may have been Ray Peterson’s hit version in the early 1960s, or it could have been one of my Grandmother’s Bing Crosby records spinning on the old record player. However it got burned into my memory, Corrine, Corrina has remained a favorite.

Bo Carter (of the Mississippi Sheiks) is credited with writing Corrine, Corrina. It was during a session in New Orleans the first few weeks of December 1928 that Corrine, Corrina was first recorded. Bo Carter, whose given name was Armenter Chatmon, was accompanied by his older brother Lonnie Chatmon on fiddle and Charlie McCoy on mandolin and second vocals. On the 17th of that same December Bo Carter and Charlie McCoy returned to the studio, this time with Walter Vincson on guitar and calling themselves the Jackson Blue Boys. On that day the Jackson Blue Boys recorded Alberta, Alberta, the same song but substituting Alberta for Corrina.

Bo Carter, the Mississippi Sheiks, and most of the Chatmon family made a good living playing to both black and white audiences. They knew how to incorporate pop elements (including “hooks”) into their music. This made their music appealing to a much wider audience; black/white, city/country. You may remember another one of Bo Carter’s songs that has withstood the test of time, Sitting On Top of the World, which I have mentioned in a series of past posts (Intro, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3).

Like Sitting on Top of the World, Corrine, Corrina has been recorded by a long list of artists over the years, and just as Bo Carter incorporated many elements of popular music in his original recording, the artists that have covered his songs have added their own touches, keeping these classic songs alive for generations to enjoy.

Bo Carter - Corrine, Corrina.mp3
1928
Jackson Blue Boys - Alberta Blues.mp3
1928
Red Nichols & His Five Pennies - Corrine, Corrina.mp3
1931
Bing Crosby - Corrine, Corrina.mp3
1936
Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Corrine, Corrina.mp3
194? (I could not find an original issue date, anyone know?)
Big Joe Turner - Corrine, Corrina.mp3
1956
And a video of John Kay & Steppenwolf.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed
I know what you mean about this song, It seem like it has all was been there and it is one that I find myself singing a lot.
And of course people look at you funny when ever they hear it..
I think the one I like best is Leon Redbones version.


Joey

March 02, 2007 7:16 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

This one is like "Milk Cow Blues" or the ever-popular "Sittin'...World." Thanks for all the versions -- and I guess you knew I'd be making sure Bob & the Playboys would be there! Speaking of which, their version may be late '30s. I have the vinyl version of their earliest releases, "Anthology," which goes back to 1935. when I have a chance I'll check it for the release date.

March 02, 2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Actually, Ed, now that I've pulled Bob's version into ITunes & gotten the source info, I see that it's from the Tiffany Transcriptions, which would def. put it in the '40s -- I think those started post-war. i have a couple of them, again in vinyl, but not this one. Hope some Swing Scholar can provide the correct date. Thanks again -- this one's hot!

March 02, 2007 10:54 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks Greg! Of course, I included the Wills version for you, I knew I'd hear from you if I didn't! I thought it made a great transition from Bing and into Big Joe.

March 02, 2007 2:17 PM  
Anonymous rockin'n'rollin' said...

Good work Ed!

March 02, 2007 5:57 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks rockin'n'rollin'.

March 04, 2007 8:43 PM  

<< Home