Monday, March 05, 2007

Good times here, but better down the road

The thought of hoppin’ a freight to adventure and freedom is a common fantasy for many of us, including me. During the hobo heydays of the 1930s many folk did just that. Today the trains are too fast.

I’ve always had an urge to travel and have been fortunate to be able to make a good living on the road for many years. I was doubly fortunate to have married a woman who shares my wanderlust and enjoyed the mobility of living in an antique school bus. We raised three children on the road, settling down as the eldest child approached high school age. Our youngest will graduate next year and we have begun to talk about what we will do once she leaves home for college. Another bus, or perhaps a sailboat, are options we have discussed. I guess the urge to travel is still in our blood.

I suppose it is the lure of the open road and new horizons that partially account for my interest in railroad songs.

Sam & Kirk McGee - Railroad Blues.mp3

Delmore Brothers - Blow Your Whistle Freight Train.mp3

Barrier Brothers - Smoke Along The Track.mp3

UPDATE: Links fixed! (Thanks, Retank and John)

7 Comments:

Blogger retank said...

Sorry, I get nothing trying to download those.

March 06, 2007 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

same here

john

March 06, 2007 10:03 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks for the heads up guys. I have fixed the links now.

March 06, 2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger Minerva said...

I would be obliged if you could tell me how to upload my personal music from PC to website? Lynne

March 06, 2007 9:29 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Lynne! That's a bit lengthy for the comments. E-mail me, ehop(at)comcast(dot)net, I'd be happy to fill you in.
I'm looking forward to a bit of rag.

March 07, 2007 8:53 AM  
Blogger Minerva said...

hi ed, thankx for your reply. the email address is incomplete dotcomdot???
PS Bin listening to your tracks tonite luv Bob Devlin

March 09, 2007 7:27 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Lynne, It is not a good idea to post a usable email address, as spam bots troll these waters. Try:
ehop@comcast.net
Bob Devlin was a great street musician in the Georgetown area of Washington D.C. in the 1970s. He also performed for kids at local schools. He only recorded two albums, both only available from him as he played on the street corners. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. I am glad you enjoy.

March 11, 2007 3:43 PM  

<< Home