Monday, March 26, 2007

A few old favorites: Old Molly Hare

Autoharp legend, Bryan Bowers, wrote in the liner notes of his Friend for Life CD (buy it here): "Some songs I view as friends for life. Only a few notes need ring out before my mind’s eye conjures up when, where, and who I was with when I heard 'that one'."

This week I’d like to take a look at some special songs that I view as friends for life.

Old Molly Hare is another of the many American folk songs that has its roots deep in the British Isles. The tune can be followed back to an old Scottish reel known as The Fairies' Dance. I have selected three distinct versions of Old Molly Hare to share with riders on the Bus.

Clayton McMichen & Riley Puckett with their version on fiddle and guitar, is the version that introduced me to this song, and still a favorite.

Tom Joad is a UK-based collector, performer, and teacher of Appalachian Old Time banjo.

Haywood Blevins of Sparta, North Carolina learned to mimic his father’s banjo picking on the family piano.

Clayton McMichen & Riley Puckett - Old Molly Hare.mp3

Tom Joad - Old Molly Hare.mp3

Haywood Blevins - Old Molly Hare.mp3

0 Comments:

<< Home