Thursday, March 29, 2007

A few old favorites: Move It On Over

"Came in last night at half past ten
That baby of mine wouldn’t let me in"


I’d be willing to bet that many a rider on the Bus has been able to sympathize
with the sentiment of Move It On Over a time or two, your humble driver included.

Move It On Over was the first major hit for Hank Williams. He recorded it in 1947 and it went straight to #4 on the country charts. From the start this song had all of the makings of a good rock ‘n roll song.

Hank Williams - Move It On Over.mp3

Maddox Brothers and Rose - Move It On Over.mp3

George Thorogood & the Delaware Destroyers - Move It On Over.mp3

I learned many years ago to avoid the doghouse by taking my better half with me for a night on the town. As it turns out, we have twice as much fun!

Y’all have a good weekend!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Dan said...

This song by Hank is sacred. The Maddox Bros track really begins to show the song's potential as rock and roll. Thanks SO much for this one. The only true R&R these days is found in bluegrass and country, but not the top 40 country. Any idea on the year for the Maddox post?

March 30, 2007 6:22 PM  
Anonymous rockin'n'rollin' said...

Great post, Ed!

March 31, 2007 4:36 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Dan,
I've got to agree with your assessment of today’s popular music. Most of it seems to be driven from the boardroom and not by the artists.

As for the year that The Maddox Brothers and Rose recorded “Move It On Over”; I posted a recording from an Arhoolie collection CD entitled “America’s Most Colorful Hillbilly Band” (available here, unfortunately, the enclosed booklet leaves out lots of important info, including dates for the recordings. All of the cuts on this collection are from 1946-1951 (the band signed with Columbia in 1951). I have searched for a discography to no avail. The best I can come up with is a range between 1947 and 1951.

Perhaps another rider on the Bus can help us out here?

March 31, 2007 9:34 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks rockn'n'rollin',
I know how much you like those early, pre-rock and roll tunes.

March 31, 2007 9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, just a general thanks for introducing me to all this great music, i always love your stuff.
--stephanie

April 01, 2007 5:00 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Stephanie, Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you are enjoying your rides on the Bus. Feedback, good and bad, from the folks that visit is what keeps me going. Thank you.

April 02, 2007 8:06 AM  

<< Home