Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A few old favorites: Jolie Blonde

If Cajun music has an anthem it is Jolie Blonde (My Pretty Blonde). The lament of a man who’s ‘pretty blonde’ has left him for another man.

Breaux Frères (the Breaux Brothers) were a very popular Cajun band of the mid 1920s. The family band consisted of Cléoma Breaux on guitar, and her brothers, Amédé on accordion, Ophé on guitar, and Cléopha on the fiddle. On April 18, 1929 Breaux Frères recorded Ma Blonde Est Partie (My Blonde Left) in Atlanta, Georgia. The record was an overwhelming hit in Louisiana and got the attention of the major recording companies. I have posted on this recording session in the past; original post here.

In 1935 Leo Soileau and the Hackberry Ramblers resurrected the song and recorded it for the Bluebird label under the title Jolie Blonde (My Pretty Blonde). The remake was a huge regional hit.

Sometime around 1946 renowned Cajun fiddler Harry Choates re-wrote the now classic Cajun waltz and entitled his version Jole Blon. Once again the song was a hit, but it was a Texas singer and piano player by the name of Aubrey "Moon" Mullican who would give the song a slight Western Swing sound and took it to a national audience in 1947.

1947 was the year of Jole Blon, with recordings by Red Foley, Roy Acuff, Johnny Bond, and a host of others hitting the airwaves and store shelves. More recently Jole Blon has been recorded by a wide variety of artists including Hank Snow, Waylon Jennings, and Bruce Springsteen.

Breaux Frères - Ma Blonde Est Partie.mp3

Hackberry Ramblers - Jolie Blonde.mp3

Harry Choates - Jole Blon.mp3

Moon Mullican - New Pretty Blonde (Jole Blon).mp3

Roy Acuff - (Our Own) Jole Blon.mp3

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Aa-Yee! Good stuff as always, Ed. Esp. nice to get a Moon Mullican tune (speaking as an ever-proud Texan).

March 28, 2007 10:39 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

I figured you'd like thaat one, Greg.

March 28, 2007 9:10 PM  
Blogger lynne said...

Bravo..Breaux Freres, I'll be listening to this one again!

March 30, 2007 6:05 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Lynne,
Yep, that's why it is on my "favorites" list

I have really been enjoying Musical Notes. I'll be adding a link from the Bus this weekend.

Cheers!

March 31, 2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger lynne said...

Well, thank you Ed. I have been tweaking and fiddling and adding to existing work. I have laid off for a while til I get dvd, new windows etc. Thursday then I hope to do Dave Van Ronk (my fav). Loved 'Hard Drive'.

April 01, 2007 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such great music!
I'm a Starling fan from way back too... I play in a band called The Skylighters with Auldridge and Gaudreau, and i'd love to mail it to you... buzz me at heyeric@gmail.com and give me your mailing address!
thanks
eric brace

April 03, 2007 3:11 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Eric,
I missed the party at Ashland Coffee & Tea. I'd love to help you get the word out! Info on its way.

April 03, 2007 8:02 PM  

<< Home