Friday, March 16, 2007

Dulcimer and Sweet Harmony

It’s been fun getting reacquainted with some good dulcimer music, and especially good to find that so many riders on the Bus enjoy the dulcimer.

To wrap up the week, fellow rider Rich suggested a few cuts from the classic Pacific Rim Dulcimer Project. That would have been a great way to close out the week. Unfortunately, my copy is in horrible condition: I bought it many years ago in a used record shop. Not a problem, I thought, I have albums by nearly all of the artists that were on the PRDP (Bonnie Carol, Force & d’Ossché, Neal Hellman, Michael Rugg, and Michael Hubbert.)

I have already posted Bonnie Carol, who initiated and organized the recording. I’ve also posted Robert Force and Albert d’Ossché. I have an early album by Neal Hellman, but when I went to pull it from my collection it wasn’t on the shelf where it was supposed to be. The only other recording I have with Michael Rugg is a “Festival” album and poorly recorded. To top it all off, I don’t have any other recordings by Michael Hubbert.

Not to despair, I have plenty of dulcimer music to choose from.

Sally Rogers - I Wish I Had Someone To Love Me.mp3

Sally Rogers - The Kissing Song.mp3

Claudia Schmidt & Sally Rogers - I Had an Old Coat.mp3

Claudia Schmidt & Sally Rogers - Tree of Life.mp3

Sally Rogers has been a favorite of mine since her Circle of the Sun album was Best Folk Record of 1982. Her beautiful voice is accompanied by her guitar, banjo, or dulcimer on her solo albums, but it is when she is joined by the wonderful voice and dulcimer of Caudia Schmidt that near perfection is reached.


- I missed a few links in yesterday's list of performers, teachers, and resources.

Neal Hellman is the founder of Gourd Music, and independant label of great acoustic recordings.

I have mentioned Karen Mueller on the Bus before. She is one of the most amazing Autoharp players I've ever heard, but she started her career playing the dulcimer and still plays and teaches it as well as the Autoharp.

Tune up that old dulcimer and make some music this weekend.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Dan said...

I love this tribute to the dulcimer. It has always inrigued me to see it played. It's shape and sound are beautiful. As a player of the recorder and the dobro, I understand how it fits well into this blog (which is amazing, by the way!). All are sadly misunderstood instruments. They have been used by the best folk, blues, country, and even rock musicians time and time again. The recognition of these instruments seems dependent upon the "star" including them in their recording. Thanks for letting one of these instruments stand on their own.

March 16, 2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Dan, You are right, the popularity of many instruments seem to ebb and flow. Many instruments (and musical styles) have fallen out of favor and would have been lost to time had it not been for the dedication and love of a few musicians.

Thanks for your kind words about the Bus. Over the past year and a half I have featured many such instruments and their artists.

It is great to know that in these times when everything, from the general store on main street to our radio airwaves, has a corporate logo attached, there are plenty of good folks interested in real music, played by real people, on real instruments without benefit of studio tricks and manipulation.

March 17, 2007 8:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

For a great instrumentalist you should check out Chipper Thompson at www.folk-n-roll.com
As always thanks to the BUS for the great music. Finally a site that will spotlight the beauty and tradition of the dulcimer.

March 18, 2007 7:15 PM  
Blogger McClintock's G-Granddaughter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 18, 2007 8:35 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Chris, thanks for the kind words, once again. Chipper Thompson looks very interesting. Thanks for the tip.

btw- I like the new look.

March 18, 2007 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks; I love Sally's early albums, and only have them on cassette.

Peace, Lisa H.

March 19, 2007 10:23 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Lisa, I'm glad to see you are still catching a ride on the Bus. I, too, love Sally's early albums and her early work with Claudia Schmidt. Beautiful music with a wonderful sentiment.

March 19, 2007 5:14 PM  

<< Home