Sunday, February 11, 2007

Take a Whiff

It has been a rough weekend. I’ve come down with a nasty cold and Monday is the beginning of another long stretch of overtime at the plant.

If I am to have any chance of surviving long days at work, I figured I’d need the help of modern pharmaceuticals. I know what you are thinking. Normally I would relieve my symptoms with a few homemade herbal remedies, but whatever has taken hold of me has kicked my butt, and with the overtime looming I figure I’ll need industrial strength help. I made my way to the local pharmacy and wandered the aisles searching for relief.

On the shelves that used to hold the anti-histamine, there was a card stating that the product I needed was available at the druggist’s counter. In order to purchase the item, I had to fill out a form, show my driver’s license, and sign a log book.

It all started with the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 (found to be in conflict with the 5th Amendment in 1969 and replaced in 1970 with the Controlled Substances Act.) Before the successful War on Drugs, some people actually used drugs and lived to sing about it, and a grumpy old man with a cold could pick up an anti-histamine without a background check.

Memphis Jug Band - Cocaine Habit Blues.mp3

Dick Justice - Cocaine.mp3

Billy Hughes - Cocaine Blues.mp3

0 Comments:

<< Home