Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Journey Shared

For the first ten years or so after our wedding, I brought home fresh flowers for my wife every payday. I enjoy a bouquet of fresh flowers on the kitchen table as much as she does.

One Friday evening long ago, as I came through the front door after a long workday, arms clutching a fresh cut bouquet, she confessed that, although she appreciated the flowers, she wished I would stop spending money on such frivolous extras as we had three youngsters to raise.

We still have a bouquet on the kitchen table most days, but now the flowers come from our garden or are collected from the riverbanks when I am canoeing. Cut flowers from the florist are reserved for special occasions.

This summer we will celebrate twenty-two years of marriage. It’s been quite a journey, filled with the ups and downs of lives shared. Our eldest child has left home to begin his own journey and the other two will soon follow. We are looking forward to this next phase of our journey together.

Ernest & Hattie Stoneman - Mountaineer's Courtship.mp3

Swing Billies - I Can't Give You Anything But Love.mp3

Jack Pierce - Has Anybody Seen My Gal.mp3

Reno & Smiley - Where Did Our Young Years Go.mp3

7 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

If you can believe it Ed, Sonja and I have got you and Mrs. Bus beat by a year or two. Both Sonja and I can still remember sitting down in a Sliverville greasy spoon for our first lunch. I took us there on my noisy motorcycle. If that restaurant was still there (it ain't, our whole old neighbourhood is just anout gone) they would still have Hells Angels, the police and punk rockers for customers. Our first date was Valentine's Day. Like usual we will be staying home where the rock 'n' roll heart is.

February 13, 2007 11:06 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

A "Happy Valentine's Day" to you and the Mrs., Beer. Your Sonja, and my Lisa, are special women to have put up with the likes of us for so long.

February 13, 2007 11:24 PM  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

oh yeah.

February 13, 2007 11:35 PM  
Blogger Minerva said...

Hi,
Just read all your posts, 'Keep on Bus-ing'
regards lynne australia

February 14, 2007 7:33 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Welcome aboard, Lynne!

February 14, 2007 10:41 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Hey Ed! Love that Swing Billies tune & so did MY baby, who must be cut from the same cloth as Mrs. Bus & Mrs. Beer.... I can't find much info on them on the 'Net -- you got any good pointers?

February 16, 2007 3:41 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Greg, I believe that the Swing Billies were one of the bands that Zeke Manners put together before he formed the Beverley Hillbillies (no relation to the TV show). Manners had gone through a number of California-based Western Swing Bands, some of which recorded and some didn’t. After the Beverley Hillbillies, he formed Zeke & the City Fellers.

Hope this helps in your search. If you would like a list of available reissues let me know, I’ll see what I can dig up.

February 18, 2007 8:12 AM  

<< Home