Thursday, February 08, 2007

In the Beer Garden

“Beer, if drunk in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.” – Thomas Jefferson

Since the beginning of civilization, people have enjoyed the effects of various intoxicants. No civilized culture throughout history has been devoid of psychoactive substances. Beer has been an essential part of many cultures for nearly 6,000 years. Wine and spirits would soon follow.

Beer is as old as civilization itself. I won’t go into the intertwined history of beer and civilization here. For a thoroughly entertaining look at beer and the music that accompanies it, see Judge Parker’s now classic series “7 Drinks of Mankind” over on Locust St..

It’s Friday, and for many hard working folks the weekend starts at quitin’ time. I’ll be watching that clock until beer:thirty, as I reckon a lot of you folks will be. Let’s kick the weekend off with a few good-time drinkin’ songs.

Tenneva Ramblers - Sweet Heaven When I Die.mp3

Andrews Sisters - Beer Barrel Polka.mp3

Stick McGhee & His Buddies - Drinking Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee.mp3

Jimmie Rodgers - Kisses Sweeter Than Wine.mp3

Hank Thompson - A Six Pack To Go.mp3

Tom T. Hall - I Like Beer.mp3

“People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot.” – Capital Brewery, Middleton, Wisconsin

Cheers!
Y'all have a good weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger kjk said...

I like the way you say "No civilized culture ..."

February 09, 2007 10:10 AM  
Anonymous john said...

I just got back from taking my youngest son down to our local brewery for his first (legal) beer. There's nothing like a good Honey Ale to wash down the lump in one's throat on such a wonderful occasion.
If you're ever in the Northern Illinois area, stop by Carlyle's Brewery in Rockford and have a pint.

February 09, 2007 7:19 PM  
Anonymous AJ said...

I think this post needs the William Blake poem, The Little Vagabond.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Little_Vagabond

February 09, 2007 8:45 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Ken – All cultures have developed and used psychoactive substances at some point in their history. In many societies these practices have been curtailed by social, political, or religious doctrine. For a good read on the subject, I recommend “Out Of It: A Cultural History of Intoxication” by Stuart Walton.

John – I know the feeling. This past fall I enjoyed joining my eldest son for his first (legal) beer. A nice Honey Ale is just the ticket. I pass through Rockford whenever we visit the in-laws, I’ll be sure to stop at Carlyle’s on the next trip.

AJ – Yes, The Little Vagabond is EXACTLY what this post needed. Thank you.

February 09, 2007 10:31 PM  

<< Home