Monday, February 12, 2007

Home is were the heart is

It’s been a rough winter throughout much of the country. With freezing temperatures and heavy snowfall, one must have a good reason to venture outdoors.

In central, Virginia we have been spared much of the freezing temperatures until recently and have not seen much more than a dusting of snow, yet. The weather service is calling for a possibility of snow today.

Since we haven’t had any yet, I’m sort of looking forward to taking a ‘snow day’ from work. I enjoy my time at home, especially the unplanned, bonus day off.

Home has long been an important theme in the music of the southern Appalachians. Home is a refuge from the cold, harsh world. Home is a place where one is warmed from the inside by the love of family, no matter how cold it is on the outside.

Woody Guthrie - Stepstone.mp3

Vernon Dalhart & Carson Robinson - My Blue Ridge Mountain Home.mp3

Flatt & Scruggs - My Cabin in Caroline.mp3

0 Comments:

<< Home