Sunday, January 07, 2007

Hound Dog Roots

January 8th would have been Elvis Presley's 72nd birthday. To be honest, I am not a big fan of Elvis. He was more my parents generation. I do, however, recognize his contribution to Rock and Roll.

Elvis is often credited (or accused) of taking the music and on stage antics of the black rhythm and blues performers and introducing them to a white audience. There are some that believe that Elvis “stole” black music, but such accusations don’t take all of his influences into account.

While it is true that Elvis borrowed from artists such as 'Big Boy' Crudup, 'Big Mama' Thornton, and Fats Domino, he equally borrowed from white country performers such as Ernest Tubb, Bill Monroe, Jimmie Rodgers, and Hank Snow. It wasn’t only rural music that influenced Elvis. He covered white pop singers Mario Lanza, Dean Martin, and others, but his primary musical influence was the gospel music he heard at church.

So, in honor of the anniversary of Elvis’ birthday, here are a few of the artists that were such an influence on the “King”.

Arthur 'Big Boy'Crudup - That's All Right.mp3

Bill Monroe - Blue Moon Of Kentucky.mp3

Hank Snow - I'm Movin' On.mp3

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Have to love Mr. Snow. Which reminds me, as America as the Old Blue Bus is, I am just a little surprized you have not had Stan Rogers on board.

We are the 51st state after all.

January 08, 2007 9:52 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Beer, surely you recall that I posted Stan's classic, "First Christmas" a little over a year ago.

I am a huge fan of Stan Rogers. As I am sure I have mentioned before, Stan's music is partly responsible for me getting married in Halifax.

Stan's widow, Ariel Rogers, preserves Stan music and runs Foarty's Cove Music, which owns the copyrights.

As far a posting Canadian artists, well, I believe I have posted Stan Rogers, James Keelaghan, Ian & Sylvia (all long-time favorites of mine) and many others from north of the border. Canada has a long history of exceptional folk and country music.

Canada the 51st state? Hell, we don't want that. Where will we all plan to go when those assholes in Washington start beating their war drums again?

January 08, 2007 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home