Monday, January 15, 2007

Contemporary One Man Band

I wasn't going to post today. Yesterday I made a long road trip to pick up a car my son has bought and I returned late and exhausted. As I sat enjoying a nightcap my younger son, a banjo picker, turned me on to a guy whom has taken the banjo to a new place. The subways of New York.

Phillip Roebuck is the son of a folk singer. Originally from Pungo, Virginia (you'll remember Pungo as the home of Grace Sherwood) Phillip started writing and performing at the age of twelve. Ten years later he moved to New York City, where he developed a unique banjo style as he played the subways for donations. Over time he developed the one man band apparatus that he uses today. His music has been described as "Like Uncle Dave Macon on a whiskey and speed binge."-Weekly Volcano.

YouTube video

Phillip Roebuck - Monkeyfist.mp3


Phillip Roebuck has recorded a new CD appropriatly entitled "Fever Pitch". For more info on Phillip, his unique style and his new CD visit PhillipRoebuck.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Sounds like punk rock bluegrass to me...like music needed another genre.

January 16, 2007 8:10 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Ha! I'd have to agree, Beer. Your label suits just fine.

January 17, 2007 8:35 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home