Thursday, January 04, 2007

2007 Festivals

Whew! We’ve made it through the first work week of the year. The tough part of getting back in the groove after all of that time off for the holidays is over. If, like me, you are not a government worker, you probably won’t see another holiday until April. That’s a long stretch. It’s time to settle in the groove and get comfortable.

I’ve often wondered what the difference is between a groove and a rut. Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference. I’ve come to the realization that it’s all in one’s perspective.
I’ve been doing the same type of work for over thirty years now. Most days I find I can get in the groove and have a satisfying day. This week I’ve seen more rut than groove.

To help turn that rut back into a groove I started thinking about all of the great concerts and festivals I plan to attend this year. 2007 is the 400th Anniversary of the founding of Jamestown and all of Virginia will be celebrating with special events. Since the celebration coincides with the third and final appearance of the National Folk Festival in Richmond they are planning an exceptional weekend. There is no information available yet, but I’ll be watching for it.

The good folks at MerleFest have announced this years performers and stage schedule. The dates for this year’s festival are April 26th-29th. This year’s line up is as impressive as past years. MerleFest is held on the campus of Wilkes Community College in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. Tickets and more info available on the MerleFest website.

The mountains of southwest Virginia, along the Blue Ridge Parkway come alive with music and humanity once again for FloydFest 6. Mark your calendar, July 26th-29th. FloydFest is the most unique festival in the world. A coming together of music, poetry, visual arts, healing arts, and natural foods, all nestled on the beautiful hilltops of the Blue Ridge Mountains. This year’s theme is “It’s in the Mix”. The list of performers already signed to appear is once again a varied assortment of superb artists. I’ll be ordering my tickets this weekend.

I told you this was going to be a great year!

Eldon Baker - Happy Cowboy.mp3

Louise Massey & The Westerners - Huckleberry Picnic.mp3


Y'all have a good weekend and keep it in the groove!

4 Comments:

Anonymous rockin'andRollin' said...

Nice tunes, expecially I liked Louisse Massey.
I like too much the old time flavour of
polka mixed with swing.
I like too much
Elton Britt & Patsy Montana and the Zurik Sisters.


Ah, I have tried to send an mail but it return me back for network error.

January 05, 2007 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

What happy toe-tappin' tunes. Good post, Ed. I'm glad to see you didn't lose your touch over the holidays!

I'm hoping to get to more than just the National Folk Festival this year. My "old guy" & I will celebrate our 10yr anniv. on July 25, so maybe I can convince him to go to the FloydFest (since he's got family in that neck of the woods!)

January 05, 2007 9:46 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Love that Texas swing! Thanks Ed. Here's one interesting link to info about the Westerners:
http://www.richsamuels.com/nbcmm/wls/1934/westerners.html
Note that one of the Massey family wrote the Beverly Hillbillies theme!

BTW Ed, y'all oughta get a job up here in DC. I get the Monday holidays even w/o having to work for the gummint. So I'm lookin' at one or more a month until April.

January 05, 2007 1:49 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Great info on the Westerners, Greg. Thanks. As much as I loved the Clampit family, I was always partial to Uncle Joe and the girls at Petticoat Junction.

That's it, Greg, rub it in. I haven't worked in the DC area since 1979.

January 05, 2007 2:38 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home