Thursday, December 07, 2006

Preview: Cadillac Sky - Blind Man Walking

I must admit I’ve had a hard time warming up to the progressive-acoustic movement that has been developing in the past few years. As regular riders on the Bus know, I have a deep appreciation for tradition.

I’ve recently been introduced to the music of some young folks who share that respect and appreciation for tradition. What makes the sound of Cadillac Sky so intriguing is that each member brings his own tradition into the mix. Their sound is a powerful blend of bluegrass, jazz, country, and rock, but never strays too far from their bluegrass roots.

Cadillac Sky’s front man and founder, Bryan Simpson, has proven his songwriting skills in the mainstream country arena. Songs from Simpson’s pen have been recorded by George Strait, Brad Martin, Gretchen Wilson, Martina McBride, Diamond Rio, Kenny Rogers, and recently, George Canyon took one of Simpson’s songs to No. 5 on the Canadian country charts.

Very few up-and-coming bands have an award winning songwriter, but Cadillac Sky also has two national champion pickers and a respected guitar veteran in their line up. Their unique sound is a careful blending of the background each member brings to the group.

Front man/songwriter/vocalist Bryan Simpson honed his mandolin picking on old-time and traditional bluegrass. Ross Holmes (fiddle and vocals) brings his classical and free-form jazz influences. Mike Jump (guitar and vocals) grew up with ‘70s rock. Matt Menefee took first place National Bluegrass Banjo Championship at Walnut Valley in 2000, and he’s been taking the bluegrass world by storm ever since. Andy Moritz keeps them all together with his driving upright bass.

Cadillac Sky has built a reputation as an amazing live band. They were given the prestigious honor of playing at the 2004 IBMA World of Bluegrass Trade Show.

Earlier this year, Ricky Skaggs signed the band to his Skaggs Family Records. Their first CD on the label Blind Man Walkin will be in stores January 23rd.

Cadillac Sky - Born Lonesome.mp3

Cadillac Sky - You Again.mp3

Visit the band's website for tour info and to pre-order a copy of Blind Man Walking (all pre-orders will be autographed by the band). Their MySpace page has more tour info and several great streaming songs off of the up coming CD.

Cadillac Sky website: www.cadillacsky.net
MySpace page: www.myspace.com/cadillacsky


If anyone missed the Bus yesterday:
After a good dinner last night I decided to mix up a batch of my famous egg nog. I suppose I sampled a little too much. It wouldn't have been wise to get behind the wheel after a few of my special egg nogs, so I left the Bus parked.

Y'all have a good weekend!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

These guys are great! Ed, good find, or should I say I'm glad they found you. I'm definitely pre-ordering a copy.

Damn that "pitchfork in my side" ;)

December 08, 2006 9:14 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

My dear Lucy,
I knew that you would enjoy these guys. Get your pre-order in, I don't think this CD will spend much time on the shelves once it hits the stores.

December 09, 2006 3:59 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home