Monday, December 18, 2006

Let's Review

Although you would never know it listening to the radio, this was a good year for music.

On the TV news tonight there was a report of a recent study of music buying habits. The study stated that for the first time since they started tracking the demographics, those of us over 45 years of age are now the largest purchasers of music. It appears we boomers have more disposable income to spend on CDs and concert tickets than the younger folk.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the major record labels and that Texas mega-advertising corporation that holds a monopoly on our airwaves would stop peddling that adolescent drivel and cater more to those of us that spend the money? Slim chance of that happening, I’m afraid. Thankfully, there is no shortage of great independent label music and plenty of great talent for us to enjoy.

One of the things I wanted to do when I started this trip on the Old Blue Bus was to introduce you, fellow riders, to some of the great music being made today as well as to explore the roots and branches of the music that we love. I thought I’d close 2006 with a recap of some of the fine music we have found on our travels this year.

Over the next few days I will be posting a few of the great new artists and new works by old favorites that have been featured on the Bus throughout the past year. If you missed a few of these artists or neglected to order a CD, now is your chance to pick up some great new music.

Treat youself to a night out and hear some live music.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

Ed, this has been a great ride; I'm glad I stuck my thumb out. Thanks for doing your part in the battle against those "major record labels and that Texas mega-advertising corporation".

December 20, 2006 8:14 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

"Just doin' my part, little lady" (said with a poor John Wayne imitation and a swagger).
I’m glad you’ve been along for the ride.

December 20, 2006 7:44 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home