Tuesday, December 19, 2006

It was a great year for Old Time music


This was quite a year for fans of Old Time music. We had new releases from some of our favorite string bands, wonderful new CDs from traditional musicians, and a few debuts from some younger folk keeping the style alive.

In fact, there was so much Old Time music on the Bus this year that I’ve had to break it down into two sections. First there were the string bands:

Foghorn String Band released Weiser Sunrise (all right, it was released in August 2005, but I didn’t review it until January so I’m including it). Foghorn makes pure, unadulterated string band music. Hit their website for more a few more downloads. Weiser Sunrise is available from Nettwerk Records, Elderly, and Amazon.com. The cut I have included here is from a session with Dirk Powell.

This year we found two string bands that call the mountains of Asheville, North Carolina home.

The Reeltime Travelers second CD, Livin Reeltime, Thinkin' Old Time is a lively collection of Old Time Appalachian string band music. Buy it at reeltimetravelers.com or Amazon.com.

The Peg Twisters feature the champion fiddle of Dona Cavanagh, old time guitar of Jerry Sutton, and the banjo Bob Gregory. The Peg Twisters have not released a CD yet, if you are in the Asheville area be sure to catch one of their shows.

The Biscuit Burners could be called “Progressive Old Time” and I don’t mean that in a bad way. They prefer to call their hard drivin’ tunes “Fiery Mountain Music” (also the name of one of their CDs). All outstanding musicians, the Biscuit Burners are a “must hear” laced with intricate picking. Their CDs Fiery Mountain Music and A Mountain Apart are available from Elderly or thebiscuitburners.com, where you can also get Billy Cardine’s amazing solo resophonic guitar CD.


Dirk Powell & Foghorn String Band - Lonesome Road Blues.mp3

Reeltime Travelers - Paddy Won't You Drink Some Cider.mp3

Peg Twisters - Dance All Night.mp3

Biscuit Burners - Red Mountain Wine.mp3

5 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

Great stuff, Ed! But you already knew I'd love this post.

December 20, 2006 8:31 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Sure did. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

December 20, 2006 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ed

Glad your keeping tabs. By the way, I just saw a great young act by the name of The Devil Makes Three (www thedevilmakesthree . com ). Three piece string band --banjo, guitar and stand-up base. You can listen to some samples of their stuff online, although they don't have their live album up there, which I feel is better.

I wouldn't know quite how to classify them, but let's just say you can tell they have a strong western swing / country blues influence without being campy. Original lyrics and nice harmonies. I like about 30% of their songs, and I'm pretty dang picky!

December 21, 2006 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worthy highlights. But let's not forget debuts from The Forge Mountain Diggers and The Morgantown Rounders. Or the ever-rising star of Uncle Earl.

December 21, 2006 8:53 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Anonymous 1 - I've given The Devil Makes Three a listen and I am intrigued . I’ll contact them after the new year. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous 2 - Holy cow, it WAS a good year for Old Time. I don't know how I missed those three! In fact, I posted something by the Morgantown Rounders twice this year. If I have enough bandwidth left next week I'll have to get something up on all three. Thanks for the reminder

December 21, 2006 11:34 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home