Monday, October 23, 2006

Come together: The power of folk music

The poodle skirts and white t-shirts of my parents' day gave way to the Folk Revival of the early 1960s. The rock and roll of the 1950s with songs of teen sweethearts and hot rods seemed superficial to the college kids of the late 1950s and '60s, and folk music was based in the campus culture. These young listeners were more aware of national issues and less concerned with the boy/girl obsessions of 1950s rock and roll. Folk music had a message and several now classic songs had the power to influence an entire generation. The message was subtle at first, but the seed was planted.



The Seekers - A World of Our Own.mp3

Scott McKenzie - San Francisco.mp3

Kingston Trio - Blowin' In The Wind.mp3

4 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

This song takes me way back. The Seekers were one of my favorites during the 60's.

I loved this, I'll Never Find Another You and Morningtown Ride.

October 24, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

I’ve been on a bit of a nostalgia trip recently. I’m pretty sure that your post about “giving back” kicked it into high gear.

I love the over-simplified use of Autoharp in this Seekers song (and a few of their others). When this song was on the radio I recognized the same full, three octave strum used by my grade school music teacher. It was John Sebastian’s use of the Autoharp with the Lovin’ Spoonful that really got me interested in learning to play.

October 24, 2006 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

I agree with Kat - Morningtown Ride appeals to the child in all of us. It's a great tune! I missed the Summer of Love by inches, so I actually get tingles whenever I hear Scott sing San Francisco. Great choices. Every once in awhile pop feels good.

October 27, 2006 6:08 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Dan, I had a hard time deciding what songs to post on this one. Morningtown Ride is a great tune, and I believe San Fransisco has that effect on anyone who remebers it.

October 28, 2006 8:15 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home