Thursday, September 14, 2006

The end of a long week

It's been a hectic week. I've been working some long hours, leaving the house before dawn and returning just in time to eat and post something here each night before hitting the sack, just to get up and do it all again the next day.

There was a time when I looked forward to working overtime. The more, the better. The money was good and I figured that if I was working all of the time, I couldn't blow all that hard earned cash at the pub. Now that I'm older I relish my time off. In fact, if I didn't have to eat, I wouldn't work at all!

As our kids are now leaving the nest, my wife and I have thought about converting another bus and returning to our pre-children gypsy lifestyle. Right now, the image of parking the bus beside a mountain stream, without any deadlines or schedules, is a mighty powerful dream. We still have a couple years before we will be able to consider such a move, but on weeks such as this one that image keeps me going.

For all you hard-working folks...


Kingston Trio - Greenback Dollar.mp3

Kingston Trio - Hard Travelin'.mp3

Rooftop Singers - Walk Right In.mp3


Y'all have a good weekend!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed I think we are have the same kind of week.. I have often thought about hitting the road again.
Like you said if It weren't for eating I would just walk away from it all. Because the fun just aint
Their any longer like it was back in the day.

Joey

September 15, 2006 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

I'm surprised you didn't post "The White Collar Holler".

September 15, 2006 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be gettin' older faster than me cause I still remember working all those extra hours and still finding a little time to blow some of that "big easy" cash at a little bar on river road.
Killer Bob

September 16, 2006 12:39 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Killer Bob! - Boy is it good to hear from you!
You are right. We sure did leave some cash on the bar! But you can't deny hard working folks from a few drinks after a long shift. We worked hard, partied hard, and when the job was done, we partied harder!

Joey - The work on the road nowadays ain't like it was in the heyday. Aside from all the good folks we met, perhaps what I miss the most is taking 3-4 months off before moving on to the next big job. Still, it sure is a pre-retirement option.

Lucy - I could do an entire month of anti-work music (it's a favorite theme of mine).

September 16, 2006 8:02 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home