Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The 1970s: It was all about the 'grass, man

The 1970s were a period of change brought on by the turmoil of the sixties. A lot of folks were looking for a less commercial, less corporate-dictated lifestyle. The "back-to-the-land" movement was underway thanks to publications such as Mother Earth News.

The 1970s also saw consolidation in the ownership of radio stations (albeit, not near as destructive as the consolidation of recent years) and the buyout of many of the smaller, independent record labels by the majors. Bluegrass filled a need for natural, homegrown music free of corporate hype and meddling. It was during the 1970s that bluegrass festivals just seemed to spring up in any open field. It was a worldwide movement, too. The Country Gents toured and recorded a double album live in Japan, plenty of others toured Europe.

One might argue that this was bluegrass music's heyday. That is debatable, but it was a sort of coming of age party for the music, a global introduction to a new crop of loyal fans.



R. C. Harris and Blue Denim - Applejack.mp3

Country Cooking - Barrel of Fun.mp3



R.C. Harris played with Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys in the early 1970s, He formed Blue Denim in 1973. This cut is from the 1978 LP "Grass Won't Grow On A Busy Street" with guest artists Bobby Hicks, Del McCoury and Herschel Sizemore. R.C. Harris turned to commercial country music for the past few decades. He has released a new CD this year entitled "Comin' Back To Bluegrass". Buy it at County Sales.

Country Cooking had a long string of LPs on the Rounder label. For a list of available CDs visit Rounder Records

4 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

Oh yeah, great stuff, Ed. This sounds like you're feeling better.

September 21, 2006 8:10 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Much better, thank you.
I don't know if it was the herbal tea or the whiskey I mixed it with, but one of them did the trick.

September 21, 2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

While using the blogger comment moderation device for the first time I may have accidently deleted your comment in 2 + 2 about Screamin' White Jefferson. I heard an entire lp of his on CBC radio once. It had to be the rawest thing I ever heard. If you do a search on the phrase "Gin Pig" you might find an MP3 of it if you are patient. I think I found my copy at a disgusting alcohol related site such as my own. Best as I can remember "Gin Pig" was the easiest of the lot to listen to. Sample lyric, "Gin, gin, piggy, piggy."

To my knowledge he was last distributed by Void Records in Winnipeg but they seem to have vanished into the same thin air as Jefferson himself.

September 25, 2006 11:21 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks Beer. I have searched to no avail. I have found many references but no mp3 yet. You've piqued my interest even more. I will keep an eye out.

September 26, 2006 4:44 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home