Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sweet 16 and on the road soon


Something a little different on the Bus today.

Today is a big day at our house. Our youngest child, and only daughter, is sixteen years old today. We'll have a small celebration as both of her brothers are out of town and she has plans to celebrate with her friends later.

She's growing up. Our daughter has blossomed into an intelligent, caring young woman and I'm as proud as a dad can be.

For the past few months I've been teaching her to drive a car, just as I taught her to ride a bike many years ago. I miss our evening walks together, but I understand that a young lady doesn't want her dad around all of the time. Over the years, she and I have spent many a summer Sunday afternoons sitting in the rocking chairs on the back porch, just listening to music and talking. She's also my canoeing partner on days when the rivers are too low for whitewater and a peaceful paddle on a glassy lake are in order.

Whenever I hear these two Sam Bush songs, favorites of hers, I close my eyes and we are rocking in the cool shade once again.

Sam Bush - Same Ol' River.mp3

Sam Bush - Crossing The Transippi.mp3

5 Comments:

Anonymous Larry Taber said...

Thanks Ed for the tunes today. I wanted to make a special thanks for the Sammy songs. I live in Bowling Green, KY and see his dad Charlie often. I was going to send you a recent photo of him but cannot see anyway to attach. I just found your blog last week and am enjoying it alot. Thanks.

August 02, 2006 8:06 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Hi Larry - Welcome aboard and thank you for the kind words.

I am familiar with your work, as I often come across your site when I am searching for photos. I would love to have had one of your photos of Charlie for this post! My email is available in the sidebar at the right under the "About the Files" heading.

August 02, 2006 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Wow, 16 years old! I first met her when she was 8'ish. I didn't realize I knew you that long. I didn't even recognize her at the Folk Festival last summer. She is all grown-up, now wipe that tear from your eye. You done good, Ed, and wish her a happy b-day for me.

Now on the tunes... LOVE Sam Bush; you done good there too.

August 03, 2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Rob Hutten said...

Beautiful post, Mister Bus. My Katie just turned five and every so often I look at her and see a sixteen-year-old asking for the car keys.

Every day is a gift.

August 04, 2006 7:43 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks Rob. Every day truly is a gift. And each stage a wonder.
Your cute little Katie will be asking for the keys soon enough, in the mean time, enjoy the trip.

August 04, 2006 10:02 AM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home