Monday, July 24, 2006

Good Old-Time music from the hills of ... Sweden ?


This weekend I plan to be enjoying some great music in the mountains at FloydFest 5: Roots Alive. If you have never attended this wonderful three day World Music Festival in Floyd, Virginia, then you are missing out on one of the best festivals there is.

Most of you are familiar with Floyd, Virginia as it is the home of the Floyd Country Store and County Sales. Located in the Appalachian Mountains of southwestern Virginia, Floyd is a popular stop along The Crooked Road: Virginia's Heritage Musical Trail.

FloydFest is a young festival, this is only the 5th annual, but has already earned a reputation as one not to miss. For a little more background on FloydFest, see this article in The Richmond Times-Dispatch

I was looking over the schedule, planning my trip, and thought I would look into a few of the performers I was not familiar with. One that caught my attention was a young group of ex-punk rockers from Sweden who have caught the Bluegrass and Old-Time bug.

The Rockridge Brothers are; Pontus Juth on upright bass, Peter Frovik on guitar, Ralf Fredblad on: banjo and fiddle, and Kristian Herner on clawhammer banjo. They are currently touring the United States (Virginia, West (By God) Virginia, and upstate New York). They have a good feel for the music for being so far removed from the area. If you get the chance, catch these guys while they are here.



Rockridge Brothers - Been All Around This World.mp3


Rockridge Brothers - Let Me Fall.mp3


Update - I have copied these file to my file host for those of you that could not access them from the public host due to corporate firewalls.


** - I have mentioned The Crooked Road in this space before. With the help of the world's best yard sale bargain hunter and my good friend, Walt, I have been working on a week-long post dedicated to The Crooked Road and Virginia's contributions to the world of music. Watch for it here on the Bus in the coming weeks, after my file hosting nightmare is resolved, of course.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

We used to make the trek to Floyd at least once a year for my husband's family reunions and other family functions (that's where his grandparents lived). We won't make any this summer, since he goes under the blade tomorrow and will be out of commision for a while.

Ed, have a blast at FloydFest and a safe trip. I look forward to getting beyond the firewall and being able to heard your posts again

July 25, 2006 7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed have a great time and enjoy
some of the music and beer for me

Joey

July 25, 2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger rob@blogoftheday.org said...

Great blog! I've added a link to your blog on Blog of the Day under the category of Music. To view the feature of your blog, please visit http://blogoftheday.org/page/111793

August 01, 2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Wow, I'm flattered, Rob. Thanks!

August 02, 2006 9:05 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home