Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sittin' on top of the world, part 2

Some songs just seem to have a universal appeal. "Sittin' On Top Of The World" is one of the songs that quickly spread amongst musicians of all regions and styles.

The lyrics are simple and have the most common subject of all music around the world, an abandoned lover (in this case, a thankfully abandoned one). The unique, yet simple chord progression of the melody flows pleasantly to the ear. It's no wonder that this song would find it's way into the repertoire of musicians of just about all American musical styles. Not only did it make the transition to a variety of styles, it became a classic, a standard to be included in many musicians playlists.

Bent Hickory Bluegrass Band - Sittin' On Top Of The World.mp3

Doc Watson & David Holt - Sittin' on Top of the World.mp3

Jimmy Martin, et al - I'm Sittin' On Top Of The World.mp3

In fact, there are so many versions of this song that I had a difficult time selecting examples to post here. If I missed your favorite, I apologize. I could not find my copy of Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys (sorry Greg), nor the Seldom Scene (sorry Lucy). We've had a bit of computer/network trouble on the Bus.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed you got us sittin on top of the world for sure.
I agree with Lucy about The Seldom Scene version
But (it's all good)

Joey

May 17, 2006 7:09 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Yep, it's all good! The toes have got to be a'tappin when this song is playing.

This song is near and dear to my heart. I knew an older farm woman, who left us a few years back to join her husband on the other side, and she used to love to sing this song after a few glasses of her "Belcher Tea". Miss Carrie was always the life of the party. My favorite saying of hers was "You can't help being ugly, but you sure could stay home!" Lord, I miss that woman!

May 17, 2006 8:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

No problem about not posting Bob: I've got my own copy! In fact, lemmee see if I can send it to ya! Great song in all its versions and -- as usual -- great commmetary.

May 17, 2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Thanks for the kind words, Greg.

May 17, 2006 6:18 PM  
Blogger bigrockcandymountain said...

thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou

May 17, 2006 8:13 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Lucy - Miss Carrie must have been quite a woman.

May 17, 2006 8:15 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home